First planted tank! Advice please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Colwell

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so, I am looking to plant my 45 gal tank. I currently have a 4" Hagen life glo 2 bulb & a 4" Hagen aqua glo bulb. The filter is your ordinary HOB filter. This tank houses a old pair of Angels. In the future may house a school of smaller fish as well. I recently bought 3 bags of Seachem Flourite Dark and 1 bag of Seachem Flourite Black Sand. The plants I am interested in are: dwarf sag, jungle val, water sprite, rotala rotunfoilia, riccia fluitans, amazon sword.

I am open to any recommendations for different plants. As for the substrate I planned on just mixing the 3 bags of dark flourite with the bag of flourite black sand( Is this a good plan?) How long should I wait after putting the new flourite in before getting plants if at all? I DO NOT plan on using a CO2 system at all. I know I may need to compensate for that with some ferts, but what kind? I was also looking at getting some flourish to help plant growth but not sure on what type I really "need".
Any and all help is much appreciated!

I don't use Flourite but I'd put the Flourite down first and cap it with sand. I'm sure over time the sand with settle into the Flourite but IMO you'll get a nicer look using the sand as a cap. As for planting I'd wait 1 or 2 days only because that will give the tank time to let any cloudiness from the Flourite settle. Which BTW I've heard you need to rinse the heck out of Flourite before using it. Then you can add plants. Also in my opinion a canister filter like a Fluval 406 would be much better on a 45g tank. It will give you more circulation and you will have alot of room in the canister for different media.

I don't use CO2 but I do use a liquid carbon daily which will greatly aid your plants in photosynthesis and growth. One thing tho is riccia fluitans and jungle val will both melt when using a liquid carbon. I use Corkscrew val and have no issues with liquid carbon melting it.

You can add Crypts, Ambulia, Red Tiger Lotus (for a touch of color), and narrowleaf temple to your list also.

As for ferts your going to need root tabs for your swords and crypts and you at least need a good liquid fert like Seachems Flourish Comprehensive. If your going to get alot of plants then I would suggest using dry ferts as they are much more economical to use.

If you look through my pictures at my 20 gallon long I used fluorite capped with white sand, and it never settled. Although if you ever move plants around it will bring up some of the fluorite, I ended up just mixing it all up a week or so ago, kinda looks neat.

I don't use Flourite but I'd put the Flourite down first and cap it with sand. I'm sure over time the sand with settle into the Flourite but IMO you'll get a nicer look using the sand as a cap. As for planting I'd wait 1 or 2 days only because that will give the tank time to let any cloudiness from the Flourite settle. Which BTW I've heard you need to rinse the heck out of Flourite before using it. Then you can add plants. Also in my opinion a canister filter like a Fluval 406 would be much better on a 45g tank. It will give you more circulation and you will have alot of room in the canister for different media.

I don't use CO2 but I do use a liquid carbon daily which will greatly aid your plants in photosynthesis and growth. One thing tho is riccia fluitans and jungle val will both melt when using a liquid carbon. I use Corkscrew val and have no issues with liquid carbon melting it.

You can add Crypts, Ambulia, Red Tiger Lotus (for a touch of color), and narrowleaf temple to your list also.

As for ferts your going to need root tabs for your swords and crypts and you at least need a good liquid fert like Seachems Flourish Comprehensive. If your going to get alot of plants then I would suggest using dry ferts as they are much more economical to use.

Thanks for the help river cats!

I too have heard the flourite can and will be a pain in the bum, but most people say its well worth it! I will add those plants to the list as well! I was looking to plant it somewhat heavily so maybe I will look into so dry ferts. Any suggestions on what kind?
Also I have a fluval 306 right now on my 55gal cichlid tank. Should I possibly consider swapping the two? The 55gal is on top and the 45 on the bottom on the same stand. Or would I be better off leaving the 306 n getting another hob? I just don't wanna swap and have the cichlid tank a mess.
Thanks again sorry for the long messages lol

I also forgot to ask what kind of clean up crew would be good for the 45gal with a pair of angels once I plant it. I WAS thinking some rcs but won't the angels eat them up? What about cory cats? If so how many should I look into?

Leave the canister on the 55. You will need at least another HOB filter IMO for the 45 or a canister if you can afford one.

As for ferts I use Micro & Macro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums this package deal which has everything you need.

I suggest using these dosing bottles as they make dosing very easy... Fertilizer Dispenser | 1000 mL (32 oz) | Green Leaf Aquariums.

I dose PPS-Pro and here is a good thread about how to mix the ferts and dosing with them. You only need to read the openning post for the info you want. You will also need a digital scale to weigh the ferts with. Newbie Guide to PPS-Pro - PPS Analysis and Feedback - Aquatic Plant Central

Forgot about the clean up crew... 6 cory cats would do great with angels in a planted 45g.

Leave the canister on the 55. You will need at least another HOB filter IMO for the 45 or a canister if you can afford one.

As for ferts I use Micro & Macro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums this package deal which has everything you need.

I suggest using these dosing bottles as they make dosing very easy... Fertilizer Dispenser | 1000 mL (32 oz) | Green Leaf Aquariums.

I dose PPS-Pro and here is a good thread about how to mix the ferts and dosing with them. You only need to read the openning post for the info you want. You will also need a digital scale to weigh the ferts with. Newbie Guide to PPS-Pro - PPS Analysis and Feedback - Aquatic Plant Central

Thanks again for all your help Rivercats!

All of the links were very useful. I live in Canada so I will not be able to order from Greenleaf. I will look into some Canadian suppliers possibly or shop around for the best price. I will look into another canister but may just toss a hob on for the time being. And I was thinking 6-8 Cory cats so that should work out well.

The flourite is a pain I only washed two bags and took about half our each bag with constant water and stirring lol ill do the other two later!

All of the links were very useful. I live in Canada so I will not be able to order from Greenleaf. I will look into some Canadian suppliers possibly or shop around for the best price. I will look into another canister but may just toss a hob on for the time being. And I was thinking 6-8 Cory cats so that should work out well.

The flourite is a pain I only washed two bags and took about half our each bag with constant water and stirring lol ill do the other two later!

Don't rinse the fluorite rough or too much, it's a clay so the more it rubs against itself the more dust it will create. Rinse it lightly, then put in the tank then plant your plants, cap it with sand and slowly fill it up with water. Nearly perfectly clear water without all the hassle.

Don't rinse the fluorite rough or too much, it's a clay so the more it rubs against itself the more dust it will create. Rinse it lightly, then put in the tank then plant your plants, cap it with sand and slowly fill it up with water. Nearly perfectly clear water without all the hassle.

Ok thanks for the tip! I didn't rinse the second bag as much as the first one or like you said as rough. So for the last two I will be a bit nicer lol

Np. All I did when I rinsed mine was put it in a fish net and run it under the tap until the water ran clear, it can be monotonous if you have a smaller net but it still took less time and a whole lot less effort

If your in Canada you will have to call around to some hydroponics plant stores and greenhouses to get KNO3 Potassium Nitrate.

If your in Canada you will have to call around to some hydroponics plant stores and greenhouses to get KNO3 Potassium Nitrate.

I actually have a friend who's parents own a few greenhouses so ill get in touch with them. Even if they don't have it I'm sure they can get it!

@Rivercats- do I really need the MgSO4( from what I've learned it's just Epsom salt?) my city water is pretty hard. I was just confused bc the Greenleaf package you recommended didn't have the magnesium sulfate. But in the pps pro recipe it includes the MgSO4.

Actually you don't need it unless you have super soft water which you obviously don't. Most people get enough magnesium from their tap water.

Back
Top Bottom