First Reef Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PeaceLoveFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay guys, I've built a 100 gallon freshwater aquarium. Now I've got an empty 20 gallon that I want to use for a nano starter reef tank. I've done a lot of research in the past couple months. The only thing I'm having difficulty I'm deciding about is a filtration system. I'm thinking about going with the LR and skimmer. What kind of skimmer should I use? What kind do you guys use?

For a 20g tank you won't "need" a skimmer if you're using LR. Regular water changes will be fine. A lot of the skimmers for a tank that size do a very poor job of removing proteins.

So the LR will be enough for a filter? Will there be any other filter methods I need? That'll save me money from buying a skimmer.

It all depends on what you are wanting to house, if you want slot of fish with a large bioload you will need one, but if u want just 1 fish you won't, what were you wanting for livestock?

The best filtration in SW is a live rock and good circulation. I would honestly spend that money elsewhere.

Will you be using a sump with your setup?

I won't be using sump right now. When I get a little experienced I will though. Right now, I'm planning to house a couple clown fish. Maybe some coral. But not too many.

I ran a 14 gallon biocube with a clown and a damsel and even with only 2 fish I fought nitrates all the time and really never won. If you have the money to get a skimmer I would. They make nano sized skimmers now, I think Ramora makes one. I purchased the biocube skimmer and although it did remove waste the cup was so small I had to empty it twice a day so it became more problem than it was worth. You can do liverock only but you'll probably end up with algae that drives you bonkers. In the end its up to you and a hang of back filter will work for a 20 gallon with liverock but a skimmer may give it that extra edge.

Back
Top Bottom