First Salt Water Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psylk87

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

I have been keeping fish for several years but have only ever done freshwater tanks. I have an empty 29 gallon tank and was considering converting it into a saltwater tank. I really don't know anything about slatwater tanks other than they are more expensive and harder than freshwater tanks lol. Any advice, thoughts, links to info, and pointers on what I need to do to get started would be great. Also good beginner saltwater fish recs would be amazing. Maybe even stocking levels? Thanks in advance!

Just keep on researching, it's not a minefield, especially if you've got an aquatic background.
I'm 8 months into saltwater and all is well.
Key point in my view is

'You can't rush it'

You could get cardinal fish, yellow tangs, blue tangs, raccoon butterflies,clowns are all fairly easy to keep.

Hello,

I have been keeping fish for several years but have only ever done freshwater tanks. I have an empty 29 gallon tank and was considering converting it into a saltwater tank. I really don't know anything about slatwater tanks other than they are more expensive and harder than freshwater tanks lol. Any advice, thoughts, links to info, and pointers on what I need to do to get started would be great. Also good beginner saltwater fish recs would be amazing. Maybe even stocking levels? Thanks in advance!
don't try to go to fast. I'd get some live sand some rock about 45 pounds, of course you'll need salt, hydrometer, filter. You could wait awhile for a skimmer and an ro unit.

You could get cardinal fish, yellow tangs, blue tangs, raccoon butterflies,clowns are all fairly easy to keep.

Yellow tangs and blue tangs need a bigger tank than 30. After your set up for a few months do tons of research on what fish you want. Liveaquaria has alot of info to get you started

Yellow tangs and blue tangs need a bigger tank than 30. After your set up for a few months do tons of research on what fish you want. Liveaquaria has alot of info to get you started
That's true I was on such a roll that I forgot the tank size lol

Purple fire fish are very cool. Get a pair. Blue green chromis are fun to watch as they swim in a school. Clown fish are the most popular. Bangai cardinal are fun as well. Royal gramma works. Goby and pistol shrimp are fun but watch the pistol shrimp. Clown fish are great as well. I always introduce a pair so they have someone to swim with, keeps them stress free. But keep in mind once you add a fish it might be hard to get them out. Be sure of the fish you have and research if you can take care of their needs. This will help in the long run. Dont introduce to many fish at in once. Easy does it

Back
Top Bottom