First Tank Setup - Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanielDelloRey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone,

So this is my first proper tank setup, it's the 90Litre AquOne 620
Im going for a planted community setup, just kind of wanting some help with plant identification and general care + guidance from some experts.

Heres some specs of the tank, i'm using biohome ultimate filter media (1kg) with some fine wool mesh and that more course sponge on top, iv'e also added a seachem purigen to really get that crystal clear water (I had some tannins from the new driftwood pieces). I have a bubble wand in the back of the tank and a heater, which is set to 28.C because on average the water is staying at around 30.C (peak Sydney summer heat) but i read that it's fine for the bacteria building.

I've been reading/researching a lot online about setting up a new tank and am currently undergoing a fishless cycle to get those much sought out beneficial bacterias haha. I've been doing the pure ammonia dosing to 4ppm etc and all seems to be going well, however i've read a few contradicting tips online regarding lighting, because my tank is well planted i was wondering if it was still ok to have the lighting off during this cycle process as i read that large algae blooms can occur with all the high levels of nitrite and nitrate?

My main concern is that my plants are starting to look like the green is fading from them? I also spent hours today actually trying to identify what plants they are to see any care tips but i can't seem to find them online? and my LFS had no idea (yikes).

I'll attach some pictures for you guys and hopefully someone can help out, there are 3 types of plants that i can't identify the taller plants at the back, the the shorter round leafed ones towards the middle and the low lying one in the gravel.

Thanks, Daniel :)

Attachments

• Photo 17-01-2015 1 15 26 pm.jpg
    Photo 17-01-2015 1 15 26 pm.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Photo 17-01-2015 1 07 22 pm.jpg
    Photo 17-01-2015 1 07 22 pm.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Photo 17-01-2015 1 15 13 pm.jpg
    Photo 17-01-2015 1 15 13 pm.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Photo 17-01-2015 1 14 48 pm.jpg
    Photo 17-01-2015 1 14 48 pm.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 79
3rd pic looks like Amazon Swords. I'm no plant expert it just looks a lot like mine in my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

thanks :) but i dont think it is, the leaves are less rounded than melon swords, you mean the tall back ones right?

So nobody knows what the shorter plants are with the rounder leaves? :/

Looks like something in the fern family.. Just a guess though. Not good with plant ID

ooh ok thank's ill do some research into it, also found out that the taller background plants are Blue Stricta (Hygrophila Stricta) :)

Hi Daniel

Tank looks great! Gave me an idea what plants I could use at the back although they don't look like stricta to me of which I believe the scientific name is hygrophilia salicifolia?

That's a lot of plants in a relatively smallish body of water. There will be a lot of competition for the necessary elements that are vital for plant health. Light, carbon and nutrients. As I can't ID the plants for definite I'm not sure what lighting is required e.g high, med or low. The higher the light the greater the demand for the other elements. What lighting do you have currently and are you supplementing with a carbon source or nutrient regime?

Check you tap water report online. If it is classed as soft then there will be an even greater need to provide extra nutrients.

Hi
thanks for the reply,
I did look at a lot of images of stricta online and they match pretty perfectly to the ones in my tank, especially this picture https://www.google.com.au/search?q=blue+stricta&es_sm=91&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ob68VOPvJNXd8AWGy4GgCA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1438&bih=728#imgdii=_&imgrc=XPt2vJiqj5w8cM%253A%3BtEfEAe3F6P50fM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fi103.photobucket.com%252Falbums%252Fm123%252Fpeterj_photos%252Fplants%252Fstricta-1.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.qldaf.com%252Fforums%252Fauctions-18%252Fbig-things-5-different-large-plants-closes-friday-30500%252F%3B799%3B629

My tank has the stock standard 2 fluorescent lights each one being the 'PL 18W red/white' light from aqua one, which iv'e been turning on for about 8 hrs a day, but im worried about an algae breakout as i'm currently fishless cycling my tank.
My water PH from the tap and in my tank is at about 7.4.
Iv'e been using seachem flourish as a supplement for my plants but that's all.
I'm not too familiar with C02 dosing etc and really wanted to research the care these plants needed before i got into that, but i can't really until i ID them, still super unsure about the shorter ones in the foreground :/

Hi
thanks for the reply,
I did look at a lot of images of stricta online and they match pretty perfectly to the ones in my tank, especially this picture https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...t-large-plants-closes-friday-30500%2F;799;629

My tank has the stock standard 2 fluorescent lights each one being the 'PL 18W red/white' light from aqua one, which iv'e been turning on for about 8 hrs a day, but im worried about an algae breakout as i'm currently fishless cycling my tank.
My water PH from the tap and in my tank is at about 7.4.
Iv'e been using seachem flourish as a supplement for my plants but that's all.
I'm not too familiar with C02 dosing etc and really wanted to research the care these plants needed before i got into that, but i can't really until i ID them, still super unsure about the shorter ones in the foreground :/

If you have a tablet or similar you can download plant encyclopaedia apps that may help for ID.

Liquid carbon and nutrients won't hurt a thing for the time being. Sounds like you have T8 fluorescents. They are tubes more suited for plants that require low light due to their low PAR rating. (Look up PAR rating) this is what most hobbyist use to determine the effectiveness of their lights nowadays.

I would also check the colour temperature of those tubes as the ones provided as part of a new setup are usually unsuitable. Not that they won't grow plants but you may have better growth with 2 x 6500k as they are closer to the colour temperature of daylight which in most plants will stimulate better growth.

Usually a tank that has a good balance of light, ferts and carbon will grow very little algae.

Back
Top Bottom