First time posting pictures... what do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin0329

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have had this particular setup for a little over 9 months. Pretty much a budget setup. Its a 55 with 30 gal sump/refuge. I have an eBay Skimmer that honestly does a great job. The rock is all lava rock that I have collected from my area aside from 2 pieces to "seed" the tank. I have a lunar wrasse, niger trigger, a one spot foxface and an a$$hole damsel. I dyi'd the overflow box and sump. I know this tank is small for most of my tankmates, but I really can't speed up the cycling process of my 150. So, here it is...

ForumRunner_20120722_162045.jpg

ForumRunner_20120722_162058.jpg

ForumRunner_20120722_162109.jpg

ForumRunner_20120722_162125.jpg

ForumRunner_20120722_162142.jpg

ForumRunner_20120722_162213.jpg

Looks nice! Better upgrade your tank soon before you ser agression! Haha anyways, i like your fox :)

Thank you. Now, obviously I haven't gone coral... yet, because I don't have nearly the lighting that's required. Ultimately, I have only got about 100 bucks into this particular setup (minus the fish). Now, my 150, that's a different story. Ill be posting pictures of it once its done and the stock has been transferred.

I did lava rock because it was free to me and it still is very porous for bacteria life to form. I used a couple pieces of rock that were from an established tank to seed the lava rock.

Looks good!

Even when it is not free, lava rock is very inexpensive compared to live rock. I've used it in my last two FOWLR tanks and got about 75 lbs for under $5 total. I figure the $300+ that I save can go towards fish. I like the "plainness" of it for fish only. Works fine for bacteria as my trates are always very low.

im new to all of this but your tank looks really nice to me! :) you got all that rock for free!? wow lucky. :D

RedLeggedHermit said:
im new to all of this but your tank looks really nice to me! :) you got all that rock for free!? wow lucky. :D

Thank you very much. I am still very new to this as well. I know of many steps I would have done differently but all in all I am happy with the current setup. I still have a lot to do but I think I am headed in the right direction. Now I just have to decide what livestock I'm going to put in it once these fish are moved to their new home. As far as the rock being free, that's only because its found in my back yard naturally.

Back
Top Bottom