First Time with Live Plants, Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeyost12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was at the LPS yesterday and bought two potted plants for my aquarium. I was hoping the receipt would have the name but it does not, it just says potted plant. So my first question is
1. can anyone tell me what type of plant this might be? All I know is I requested a very easy to care for plant that can survive harder water..... it looks like a Sword plant to me?
My other question is:
2. if you look at the one picture, the leaf is pretty much losing most of its color....... should I cut this stem out?
3. I have a bubble wand in the tank, should I remove that bubble wand to remove some excess oxygen it is producing?
4. What is just the general rule of thumb for caring for live plants? (I have a gravel substrate so I did use the Seachem Flourish Tabs in the planted area
fish plants 2.jpg

fish plants 1.jpg

Hello Mike...

The plants look like a type of Sword. These are easy to keep, given the right lighting. Medium light is enough. Florescent light is inexpensive and will work. Roughly 3 watts per gallon of tank size is good. Swords are root feeders, so you'll need to use a tablet fertilizer. Just push it into the bottom material close to the plant roots. Bubblers will agitate the tank water and remove CO2. CO2 is a plant fertilizer, so you'll need to remove the bubbler. Change most of the tank water every few days to maintain good mineral levels the plant needs and you're good.

B

Back
Top Bottom