First timer from nor cal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crobb

Aquarium Advice Regular
Wanted to say hey. About two months in on first tank since was a little kid ( mom did all work for turtles when I was young). It's a 125 gallon, with fluval fx5 filter. Mixture of fish, plants, my african sideneck turtle and two fiddler crabs. Been a lot of fun so far and not too much work. Hope I fit in around here. I'm also on nasioc if any suby drivers out there.

Tropical aquarium - Imgur

Welcome. That's a nice size tank you have. Post some pictures when it's all set up.

Welcome!!!!

Thank you. Unfortunately lost a guppy other night, all other fish are happy and have been keeping up on water changes.

I have been keeping my eye on the guppies especially and looks like a couple are being bullied by other guppies. I think my males are being jealous. Prolly 2 of each males and females. Should I get more females?

Yes. Guppy males will constantly pester the females. You probably want 5 or 6 females.

Hi Crobb,

Welcome! I am new here too!

Been keeping guppies for just a little while and LOVE them! General recommendation for M/F ration is 2 females to every male. Hope you don't lose any more of those cuties. It can be heartbreaking.

Candace

Hi Crobb,

Welcome! I am new here too!

Been keeping guppies for just a little while and LOVE them! General recommendation for M/F ration is 2 females to every male. Hope you don't lose any more of those cuties. It can be heartbreaking.

Candace

Thank you! I went and got four more females to help out my "sausage party" I'm hoping this mellows them out and I don't need to get another 2-3. Lucky guys! Wish I was surrounded by 2-3 girl to guy ratio!

I'm hoping I get a couple to breed to even though I realize chance of surviving is slim. Would be cool to watch though. Will the males only eat the young?

Haha I think my guys feel pretty lucky too. Every one of my females was knocked up the day after I got them!

Both males and females (and every other occupant in the tank, for that matter) will eat guppy fry...they must be delicious. But that shouldn't keep you from breeding them (like you could stop them!) because the fry can definitely survive! You can use a breeder box for the mamas to birth the fry, and then take the mom out so the fry can be separated. Or you can just provide lots of hiding places with plants (including floating ones!) so the fry can hide until they are old enough to not be seen as a snack. Some won't make it but you will usually get a couple that survive. Good luck!

Haha I think my guys feel pretty lucky too. Every one of my females was knocked up the day after I got them!

Both males and females (and every other occupant in the tank, for that matter) will eat guppy fry...they must be delicious. But that shouldn't keep you from breeding them (like you could stop them!) because the fry can definitely survive! You can use a breeder box for the mamas to birth the fry, and then take the mom out so the fry can be separated. Or you can just provide lots of hiding places with plants (including floating ones!) so the fry can hide until they are old enough to not be seen as a snack. Some won't make it but you will usually get a couple that survive. Good luck!

Thanks for advice my tank is full of hiding spot. I'm going to get some more anarchris to float around though just to give them more chances.

After they reproduce how long until the cycle starts again? I'm guessing they are the bunnies of the sea?

That would be an accurate comparison lol. I've had a female who had her babies and got preggers the very next day! So you could end up with a tank full in a short amount of time!

What's biggest issue with overstocking, is it the inhumane part or the bioload? I know I'm maxed out right now and will have to get rid of some when they grow more.

Also had Guppys that spawned couple days ago. Four solid ones that have survived few days now and I have been feeding brine shrimp.

Is there not a lot of people on this forum or is that just aquarium forums in general?

I think there are a bunch of folks on this forum. But this is just the new member thread, so once read, nobody cares lol. If you have a specific question, start a thread in the appropriate catagory, and you should gets lots of replies.

I think there are a bunch of folks on this forum. But this is just the new member thread, so once read, nobody cares lol. If you have a specific question, start a thread in the appropriate catagory, and you should gets lots of replies.

Thanks for reply I was about to delete this account lol. I guess I'll just have to start new thread.

Back
Top Bottom