First Timer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twoie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so here goes, I have a 55g that is well established, about 3 months. I'm wanted to get some plants in there. I currently just have 2 18in fluorescents, they are 510lumens not sure much else about them. I have some java moss ordered that I want to start growing, I'm wondering what all I need to get to get started. Do I need a co2 thing? What kind of fert and stuff is needed? I don't even know where to begin!

Thanks

With that lighting you won't NEED CO2. It is beneficial at any level of light but not necessary until you get up into higher light. You could supplement with a liquid carbon source, like SeaChem Excel, if you like but a few plants don't get along too well with it (mosses, Vals, Anacharis).

For ferts you could likely get by with just what your water changes, fish food and waste supply. Root feeders like Swords and Crypts will need good root tabs. You could also supplement with some quality water column ferts like SeaChem Flourish Comprehensive or Brightwell Florin-Multi.

Some good low light plants are Abubias, Wisteria, Crypts, Java Fern, Java Moss, Bleheri Sword... The list goes on and on.

I picked up 2 Aqua Glo 15w T8's made by GLO company they also say 18k on them. I got them this morning before I saw your post, are these still going to work without much else done?

Also I have regular aquarium rocks, is this a problem for plants? I have so many questions about started plants!

I picked up 2 Aqua Glo 15w T8's made by GLO company they also say 18k on them. I got them this morning before I saw your post, are these still going to work without much else done?
18k as in 1800K (very yellow), or 18k as in 18000K (very blue)?
Neither will be much good for plants. You need to be looking for bulbs in the 3000k-10000k range, I prefer the look of 8000k.

Also I have regular aquarium rocks, is this a problem for plants? I have so many questions about started plants!
Not really no, so long as its not big rocks that can crush roots. You may have issues with plants floating up for a while until they get established.

18k as in 1800K (very yellow), or 18k as in 18000K (very blue)?
Neither will be much good for plants.

Lol great! I got 18k as in very blue because the box says they are ideal for freshwater aquariums and Planted Aquariums! Well crap, looks like I'll be making another trip to the LFS soon. What should in get if I'm wanted a really well planted tank for my fish to live jn when it's all said and done?

AQUAGLO are made by HAGEN.

The better spectrum of light from HAGEN is the LIFEGLO bulb at 6700k.

The AQUAGLO give quite a pink hue to the tank.

Jon

As I said, you are looking for something between 3000K and 10000K full spectrum. If you are not interested in optimal growth rates and all the extra stuff that comes with it then don't worry about all the "get 6700K only" stuff. The "K" rating (Kelvin rating) is a representation of what the color looks like to you. Lower and it will be very yellow, higher and it will be very blue. I prefer 8000K, nice and crisp without a lot of blue and not near the ugly (IMO) yellow of a 6700K.

Back
Top Bottom