Fish advice.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sqasnatch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys ... I was looking at some surgeon fish trying to pick one out...I'd like to know if anyone has had much success with the white cheek.. ( acanthurus nigricans )

I don't have any experience with the fish but i did quite a bit of research on them when i was looking at getting one. Long story short they are pretty difficult fish to keep. Can be difficult to get eating and seem very prone to ICH and other disease. Here is one article that sums it up. There were several others that confirmed this information. It also suggests getting an A Japonicus instead. They look very similar but have a much better track record in captivity.

A. nigricans &A.japonicus

What size tank do you have. If you give us some info on your tank we may be able to give you some suggestions as well.

hdultra, If you dont mind, link were you got your information.

Ive heard of the Whitecheek being a more aggressive species and need larger aquariums, If you wouldnt mind, What size is your tank?

When getting the Surgeon, put your hand over the tank that he/she is in and see if it goes to the top for food, If not, he could possibly be sick and you shouldnt get him, They have been known to be hard to nurse back to health.

What are you inhabitants? This being the more aggressive surgeon species, It will be more aggressive to new comers introduced to the aquarium, so Its best introduced last, and in a tank with semi-aggressive fish.

Also make sure to feed it veggies, In the wild, they are found munching on all sorts of algae.

Tank is 130 gal, have two clown, 4 flasher wrasse, fox face , watchman, and a scouter, not very heavy bio, all peaceful

That should be an ok environment for the fish. It will still most likely be a challenging fish to keep. I would not consider getting one unless you have a QT tank set up though. They are notorious for getting Ich. Also make sure you have a variety of foods to try and probably some selcon or something similar to try and enrich thier food. Garlic would also be a good idea just as a preventative measure.

I do have a qt tank. And many varietys of food. I think I will try one. I originally wanted an archilles tang but read that there isn't much success with them

The white cheek tangs have about the same record as the achilles. They are very similar fish. Not steering you away but just letting you know you will have a real challenge with this fish. A QT will be necessary so you can make sure the rest of your fish don't get Ich.

Make sure you have a proper sized and fully cycled QT, otherwise you will kill the tang in the QT. I have an Achilles which I have had for a year now. It is the only fish in my tank which shows signs of ich sometimes.... ich is really not a big deal though, if you keep it in check with good water conditions and keep the fish fed healthy consistent diet. Knowing that the Achilles tang was such a hard fish to keep alive and not having a large QT tank, I put him directly into my display. Ideally, sure QT him, but as mentioned it must be a proper QT for that fish.

My qt tank is a 40 gallon. I putt a few peices of LR to cycle the tank but if it requires meds I take it out. I think that,ll be alright. You? When I do water changes with my big tank I put the water into my qt. There in nothing in there but rock.

Back
Top Bottom