Fish and Birds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fredenj

Aquarium Advice Regular
Fish vs Birds. Sounds crazy but maybe when various lifeforms emerged from the sea to take to the skies eons ago they could have kept some behavioral traits. They seem to have the same behavior at times. For instance schooling fish appear similar to types of migratory birds, especially where I live in the east, where huge numbers of birds fly close together and change directions suddenly and fluidly in the sky. I've heard that it has something to do with the way they're brain works that causes this.

Wow, what a first post! Welcome to AA. I agree with that. A lot of grouping animals group together in order to have safety in numbers as well as other benefits.

Welcome to AA!!!!

It's amazing how large groups of birds and fish can coordinate their movements so precisely. They must be able to detect the tiny electrical fields produced by contracting muscles in order to reproduce those movements so quickly. And who is the leader of the flock/herd/school? How is that role passed on to another individual on the other side of the group (as in when a large group suddenly changes direction?

Finally, it's also curious how predators will go into brain freeze when presented with multiple synchronized prey targets. Why don't they simply zero in on one and go after it? It's almost as if their visual system is easily distracted by multiple targets. Flocking/herding/schooling is a very effective defense against predation - only the weak or injured individuals that can't keep up with the others are captured.

Back
Top Bottom