Fish and mirrors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhillipWS

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I'm new, to both the forum and the advanced aquarium scene. My family has had them for many years, so I do know all of the basics, but I've never done anything fancy.

Something I would LOVE is to have an infinity-mirrored glass container in the center of the aquarium. I'm really good at DIY and such, so I'm not concerned with the feasibility or difficulty of doing this, but I'm specifically concerned with how the fish would feel about it. I know bettas and other territorial fish get angry at mirrors, but do other fish do the same? The mirror container would be reflective during the day, because i have a lot of natural light, but at dawn/dusk there would be a strong light in the container to make it a one-way mirror.

The tank dimensions aren't set in stone, but my depth would be 14in, width could be anything from 10in to 26in, and height can be up to 20in. With my minimum size (10x14x12, 7gal), would a few fish be happy? I've done this size before, but that was before I cared as much about ethics.

I know that a nano tank like this needs more time and attention, but I'm prepared for that. My main concern is if the fish would hate the mirrors, and whether they would do okay in a tall tank. I tried looking around for answers, but they've been very conflicting. If the fish definitely won't like this situation, I can just do plants and maybe shrimp and snails.

Thank you for any advice!!! I'm excited to get back into aquariums again!

Back
Top Bottom