Fish and Turtle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bl80

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my ex husbands son wants a pair of my sons convicts to put in his turtle tank. Is this a good idea? I have no idea on turtle and fish etiquette.... I've taught him how to clean it and stuff ( ok so to clean as I would a fish tank) and I text him to remind him once a week.... But I could use some help... Thx in advance.... If he needs a bigger tank ( he's got a 40 g breeder I resealed for him) I have another 55 I can reseal and replace a cracked panel on for him. I'll be pet sitting for a week up there so I wanted have everything ready so I can have it set up when they get back.

IME,fish are just turtle food. and even a 55 is barely big enough for the smallest turtles kept as pets(mud/musk turtles)

Idk what kind this is. He's had it over a year and the family who had it before him had it awhile. It's not that big. But like I said I know nothing about turtles.

Idk what kind this is. He's had it over a year and the family who had it before him had it awhile. It's not that big. But like I said I know nothing about turtles.
how big is it? do you have pics?

If you can't provide pics then please google images to figure out what turtle it is. Red ear slider, painted turtle, yellow belly slider, mud turtle, musk turtle, and others are all very common.

You will need an upgrade, but it is not necessarily impossible. I have kept turtles and fish together without issues. It is important that the turtles grow up with fish, are only ever fed pellets (never live foods), and that the fish are large and active.

Turtles would not be good with the convicts. Convicts are territorial and turtles have no respect for that. Turtles are very dirty and have a different habitat/environment need. Turtles especially your common red ear sliders get a foot big and need to be able to sun themselves. I have two turtles in my pond with a dozen gold fish and they have all lived peacefully for five years. The turtles were there before when I had koi but a racoon used the pond as a buffet. Hence the goldfish only and the coon has not come back.

Attachments

• image-2426000692.jpg
    image-2426000692.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 144
I did try it years ago and it was a lot of work (in an aquarium). The filter was overloaded with waste and the fish and turtle were not happy. Like I said before this last time I tried them together in my pond and with goldfish and so far it's worked.

Thx. I've heard it done and it was what he wanted so I thought I'd ask. I'll tell him no go. Thx again.

alLexX said:
IME,fish are just turtle food. and even a 55 is barely big enough for the smallest turtles kept as pets(mud/musk turtles)

I beg to differ, a 55 could easily fit a Slider or a Painted with proper filtration IMO.

Maybe the painteds, but sliders can hit 12", same width as the tank, not wide enough.

Fishguy2727 said:
Maybe the painteds, but sliders can hit 12", same width as the tank, not wide enough.

A male slider could ;) I have a relative with a male in a 55 and its plenty wide enough, but a female could possibly be to big.

I beg to differ, a 55 could easily fit a Slider or a Painted with proper filtration IMO.
no way it could work with a slider. i had a red eared slider,they get very big and there extremely messy. and i googled painted turtles,i read they could get up to 10 inches. no way that would work in a 55

Back
Top Bottom