Fish Compatibility Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gab_attack

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

I'm finally beginning to cycle my tank (20 gallon long), and so am starting to think about stocking. I have a few ideas in mind and have been researching/plugging ideas in to aqadvisor for the past couple of days. In terms of selection, there isn't much, I have two small pet stores near me with a small selection of fish each. However, I do plan on taking a trip an hour and a half away to a much larger fish store to purchase live plants.

Anyway, I was looking at getting a Golden Ram once the tank is fully established (I've read that they tend to be a bit more sensitive to water quality so I wouldn't get them until the tank is completely stable in a few months). However, I also really love the look of some Dwarf Gouramis that the one pet store has near me.

Would rams and gouramis be okay together in a community tank? If so, how many of each would I need to get to keep the peace? I did read that regular sized gouramis can be a bit aggressive, but also that dwarf gouramis are a bit calmer.

If they can't be put together, which would be the better bet to keep? I know I plan on doing a school of neon tetras and some corys as well, but I was looking for a bright centerpiece fish that would get along with everyone, and the rams and gouramis really caught my attention in that aspect.

My rams have never been aggressive and as long as you only get 1 gourami I don't think it would be a problem. I think a nice stock would be this:

1 dwarf gourami
2 gold rams
6 peppered cory cats
9 neon tetras

That's good you have done your research because yes Rams are sensitive. Don't be surprised if you lose some neons as well. Some of them can be fragile and can die from the new transition. It's quite common with them. Otherwise like he said only 1 gourami and you look good!

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I once had Golden Rams and a Golden gourami.

They got along fine until the rams started spawning. They do it every 3 to 4 weeks end I ended up rehoming the gourami.

I love Rams so much!

Just get 2 males or 2 females. Then they won't become aggressive cause they can't mate.

Back
Top Bottom