Fish dieing fast need help now please!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mazoshi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok i got a 2 new tanks from petsmart witch are.

Fish Box 60cm Tank by Interpet (bigger one the other one is half the size)

they came with tapsafe and filterstart heater and pumps for them also bought new gravel plants orniments and 2 black mollys and 2 guppys (have in tank lots of guppys 2 swordtails 1 yellow louch and tetras)

so i set up small one useing the tapsafe and filterstart as stated and the was was 1/3 of kettel water then i waited 30 hours and transfered them into it and set up the big tank

the next day i got up and 6 fish where dead not all guppys tetras too so i moved them into the big tank as the water in the small one seemed alittle clouded how ever they are still dieing and i dont know why ive lost mollys guppys tetras and wanna try save as many as i can.

ive reset up the small one without tapsafe and filterstart i know the temp is right on both tanks and the pumps are working

ive also noticed that the fish lose the ability to swim before they die they cant move the fins at all but can still breath for a time.

can someone please help me i need to know.
A. is it possible that the tapsafe or filterstart is the reson they are dieing
B. is it the new fish (as one of the mollys and guppys have died i know they where the new ones as didnt have any mollys and the guppys tail was the only one in there)

mazoshi said:
Ok i got a 2 new tanks from petsmart witch are.

Fish Box 60cm Tank by Interpet (bigger one the other one is half the size)

they came with tapsafe and filterstart heater and pumps for them also bought new gravel plants orniments and 2 black mollys and 2 guppys (have in tank lots of guppys 2 swordtails 1 yellow louch and tetras)

so i set up small one useing the tapsafe and filterstart as stated and the was was 1/3 of kettel water then i waited 30 hours and transfered them into it and set up the big tank

the next day i got up and 6 fish where dead not all guppys tetras too so i moved them into the big tank as the water in the small one seemed alittle clouded how ever they are still dieing and i dont know why ive lost mollys guppys tetras and wanna try save as many as i can.

ive reset up the small one without tapsafe and filterstart i know the temp is right on both tanks and the pumps are working

ive also noticed that the fish lose the ability to swim before they die they cant move the fins at all but can still breath for a time.

can someone please help me i need to know.
A. is it possible that the tapsafe or filterstart is the reson they are dieing
B. is it the new fish (as one of the mollys and guppys have died i know they where the new ones as didnt have any mollys and the guppys tail was the only one in there)

First I'm sorry your losing fish. If I'm understanding your post both tanks are new? If they are it sounds like they haven't cycled yet & that could be the cause. Do you test your water? If not you should because that will tell you how much ammonia, nitrites & nitrates are in your water which is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT in new tanks. Since you have fish its even more important if you want to keep them healthy. Also you need to use a water conditioner when changing your water, I suggest using Prime as do most members here. Also it is possible that you got sick fish since they died so quickly but even if that is the case you will need to cycle your tanks. How many gallons is each tank, is it possible they may be overstocked?

yes both are new

one is 48L other is 96L Ive never had this problem in the past so cant understand why i am now as ive always done full water swaps in past and the tank we used to have was only 1year old but it was a fixed system and lid makeing it a pain to clean

also im down to about 5 fish out of 50.... whould you say i should go to my local pet shop and tell them that they killed all my fish as ive never had so many die all at once infact ive never had any die via transfers

yes both are new

one is 48L other is 96L Ive never had this problem in the past so cant understand why i am now as ive always done full water swaps in past and the tank we used to have was only 1year old but it was a fixed system and lid makeing it a pain to clean

also im down to about 5 fish out of 50.... whould you say i should go to my local pet shop and tell them that they killed all my fish as ive never had so many die all at once infact ive never had any die via transfers

I think you may have been lucky in the past. I wouldn't take the fish to the store and accuse them of killing them, but I would take them back and see if they'd give me my money back, store credit or replacements. I don't know if your fish died because they were sick when you bought them or because the two tanks are uncycled or a combination of factors. Until you test your water with a reliable test kit such as an API Master Test Kit we won't know if your uncycled tanks played a part. An uncycled tank with fish in it will get high levels of ammonia and that will kill the fish. I have two tanks, a 10g and a 46g that are in the last weeks of the fish in cycling process. I have been testing my water daily and averaging 50% water changes every other day sometimes more often. I have not lost any fish yet and as a reminder you need to treat your tap water when doing a water change.

Back
Top Bottom