Fish dropping dead, not signs of disease.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottS

Aquarium Advice Freak
I thought about the sick forum, but they don't appear sick. I just get one or two tetras a day dropping dead without any signs of trauma, disease or anything. They're not sluggish, they're not missing color, they don't have spots, nothing. They swim around one minute, the next I look over and there's a dead tetra in the current or on the filter.

I have 46G with Bleeding Hearts and Cardinals in the tank with Cories, Clown Plecos, 2 Bolivian Rams and live plants. So far the cories, rams and plecos seem resilient.

It's 82F
RO water with some spring water for trace minerals
Nitrate 20
Nitrite 0
GH 75
KH 200ish+
PH 8.0ish

I know the KH and PH are up there a bit, but is that killing a tetra or 2 each day? I'm down to 3 Bleeding hearts from the 8 I had two weeks ago. Fish have been in the tank for a month now. At least when it's ich, I can see what's killing them, argghhhhhhhhhhh! :bad-words:

You didn't list ammonia so I am assuming it is 0. I have bleeding hearts and they are very very hardy.

Are you using test strips or a liquid test kit? If they are strips,l they are very inaccurate, the liquid test kits will give you more accurate results.

Is your tank cycled? I would test for ammonia asap. This could indeed be your silent killer.

The tank has long been cycled. The hardness result was strip, but the ammonia, nitrite, and ph were all liquid chemical tests.

you didnt list the ammonia results. also have you added anything new to the tank recently? Any pesticides in the house? Any change in ph?

No pesticides, no ammonia, as I said, it's been up and running for a few months. Tanks has some slate, a piece of driftwood and several anubias plants.

Unfortunately, I don't monitor ph enough. I always use RO water to keep it soft, but the ph always stays very high.

I'd start with a massive water change first. If something did get in the tank, dillution is the answer.

Aquarium salt helps stressed fish build slime coat. It couldn't hurt to add some.

How recently did you get the tetras? It's possible you just got a weak batch. Shipping, etc., stresses the fish.

What I find odd is the rams are doing fine and it is the bleeding hearts. If it is just the bleeding hearts my first thought is internal parasites with no outward signs of illness and they were the last added.

What I find odd is the rams are doing fine and it is the bleeding hearts. If it is just the bleeding hearts my first thought is internal parasites with no outward signs of illness and they were the last added.

That is strange. Its also possible it could be a bad strain of fish (genes).

To Be Honest;
I think you should do more than a 50% water change - more like 75% water change! Remove your fish (i dont normally condone this) into tank water from your tank.
Remove All Your Decorations In The Tank,
Try to make the temporary tank as comfortable as possible. Do a good boiling of your gravel and scrub your decorations.
Scrub the inside of your tank.
Check your water once you've added the new water. Make sure all traces of the 'dead occupants' have been cleaned away.
Make sure you dont over feed and keep an eye on your changes within the tank daily. Like others say - test your water.

Good Luck - Keep Me Posted. x

just a thought but could the rams be bullying the tetras? Probably not but it is just a thought. Also are you always adding water from the same source? I know you said you used RO water but if you don't use it all the time you could be getting ph swings etc. Anyways goodluck keep us posted!

just a thought but could the rams be bullying the tetras? Probably not but it is just a thought. Also are you always adding water from the same source? I know you said you used RO water but if you don't use it all the time you could be getting ph swings etc. Anyways goodluck keep us posted!

Well, since I posted, no one else has come up floating. (jinx)

The Rams do pick on each other a fair bit (lip locking) but keep to themselves about it. The biggest bully in the tank is the one male Bleeding Heart who defends the front and center of the tank with vigor.

Back
Top Bottom