Fish dying and I can't figure out why

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need help figuring out why my platys are dying. The only symptoms they have is stress. One died a month ago after acting stressed for a little while, and I figured it was just old age. Before he died though, I thought maybe it was swim bladder disease because he was laying on his side. Then, a couple days ago, I noticed a fish in a different tank acting stressed too, and then she died the same way, except she was swimming upside down for a day before which again made me think swim bladder. She is in a different tank from the original fish which made me think it was a coincidence, but now it's happening to a third fish in the original tank. He started acting stressed last week, so I did a big water change in case it was nitrates or something. And then this morning, he's just on the bottom of the tank on his side, not moving. I think they all have had the same thing even though one was in a different tank. Does anyone know what it could be or have any ideas for treatment or prevention so no more fish get it?
I think the weirdest part is that they were in different tanks, so I wonder if it could have something to do with the water I'm putting in and maybe there's some chemical that the water company put in or something. I also had a fish die in a third tank a couple days ago, but he didn't have the same symptoms, I'm pretty sure it was dropsy, but he was responding well to treatment (epsom salt baths) and it seemed like he was getting better. I don't know if this could be related if it is the water.

Do you have any kind of contamination control between your tanks? Like different nets, syphons etc? Or do you use a net dip solution to disinfect anything that is going into different tanks?

Might be worth contacting your water company to see if they did anything to your water supply recently.

Dropsy is a symptom rather than a disease and can have many causes. With dropsy, by the time you see symptoms its usually to late to treat, and for a treatment to be effective you have to know what the cause is and treat that.

Last edited:
One of the first things you need to determine is what your water's parameters are. The most frequent cause of stress for fish is poor water quality so you need to test it on a routine basis ( until you get experienced enough to judge from fish behavior alone) and get into a routine schedule for water changes.

Swim bladder disease can be caused by a number of things so it's hard to pinpoint without a process of elimination. That starts with water parameters as well.

Livebearing fish such as Platies, Guppies, Mollies and Swordtails are prone to stress from the males. Too many males or not enough females usually end up with fish dying from exhaustion as much as harassment. You always want 2-4 females for every male you are keeping so that the males has multiple fish to breed with. Their only drive is to reproduce so they want to do it as often as possible and that can overly stress a female. More females gives the male more options and will spread out his intentions to all the females vs a single one. Too many males with not enough females will end up with the most dominant male attacking the other males to protect his rights to breed. So you really need to keep track of the ratios.

Since you had multiple fish die from similar symptoms, you need to look at what they all had in common. The most common thing is food. What are you feeding them all? Is it a balanced diet or a "one and done" diet. Just like you, fish require many different ingredients in their diet. Are the fish defecating on a regular basis? Are they getting enough food for long term health? Do you feed on a regular basis or is it a hap hazard schedule? How many times a day are you feeding?

Swim Bladder disease and Dropsy do have a common cause: Internal bacterial infection. There are a number of things that can cause this including poor water quality, poor diet and internal parasites. How long did you have the fish before they started showing these signs of distress? If you are getting sick fish, you will usually know relatively quickly as the stress of moving them from a store to your tank can activate parasites already inside or intestinal worms again, already inside the fish. Did you quarantine these fish when you first got them? Did you do any pre-emtive deworming?

So to better help you,
1) please list or post pics of the fish you have in what size tanks.
2) Water chemistry of your tank water and source water.

3) What foods you are feeding and what feeding schedule you use.

4) How long you have the fish before they start showing signs of stress.

5) What is your maintenance schedule?

and we can go from there. (y)

1) In a 10 gallon tank, I have 3 male platys and 1 male molly. In a 26 gallon tank, I have 10 neon tetras and one guppy. In a 20 gallon tank I have probably about 20 female platys, which I know is too many but they gave birth a lot and I'm trying to find someone to give the babies to so that the nitrates can stay in normal ranges.
2) For all the tanks, I use tap water. All have 0 ammonia and nitrites. The ten gal has about 25 nitrates, the 26 gal has less than 20, and the 20 gallon has about 80 (I've done a big water change since I measured this though since it was really high)
3) I give them the hikari fancy guppy/livebearer food. I feed them twice a day, as much as they can eat in a couple minutes.
4) I've had them all for over a year which is why I find it weird that they all died at the same time because they weren't new and were in separate tanks.
5) I do 10-20% water changes at least once a week in every tank.

Also, since I wrote the original post, I noticed a guppy in the 26 gallon tank has bubbles in his top fin, so I don't know if it's a fungus or Gas Bubble Disease, which came up when I looked it up. I don't know if it is related because one of the websites I looked at was talking about barometric pressure as a possible cause, so I wonder if there is something up with that in my house and that could be why it affected all the tanks, and they just didn't have visible bubbles like the guppy.
I do use the same equipment for all my tanks, but I do water changes on separate days for all of them and rinse it in between so I find it unlikely that something was passed between tanks.

1) In a 10 gallon tank, I have 3 male platys and 1 male molly. In a 26 gallon tank, I have 10 neon tetras and one guppy. In a 20 gallon tank I have probably about 20 female platys, which I know is too many but they gave birth a lot and I'm trying to find someone to give the babies to so that the nitrates can stay in normal ranges.
2) For all the tanks, I use tap water. All have 0 ammonia and nitrites. The ten gal has about 25 nitrates, the 26 gal has less than 20, and the 20 gallon has about 80 (I've done a big water change since I measured this though since it was really high)
3) I give them the hikari fancy guppy/livebearer food. I feed them twice a day, as much as they can eat in a couple minutes.
4) I've had them all for over a year which is why I find it weird that they all died at the same time because they weren't new and were in separate tanks.
5) I do 10-20% water changes at least once a week in every tank.

Also, since I wrote the original post, I noticed a guppy in the 26 gallon tank has bubbles in his top fin, so I don't know if it's a fungus or Gas Bubble Disease, which came up when I looked it up. I don't know if it is related because one of the websites I looked at was talking about barometric pressure as a possible cause, so I wonder if there is something up with that in my house and that could be why it affected all the tanks, and they just didn't have visible bubbles like the guppy.
I do use the same equipment for all my tanks, but I do water changes on separate days for all of them and rinse it in between so I find it unlikely that something was passed between tanks.

Before jumping to disease conclusion with the guppy, are you sure the bubbles were IN the fin vs on the fin? If they were IN the fin, make sure you do not have a lot of tiny bubbles in the tank ( either from an airstone or filter return. ) Tiny bubbles are a frequent cause of gas "disease" due to the fish swallowing them when they eat. If you have them, you will need to either change the air stone to a large bubble stone or adjust the filer return in the water so that it does not create tiny bubbles on the return.

While the Hikari Guppy food is good for keeping their color up and the fish healthy, it should be PART of a diet that includes other foods as well and not the only food you feed. A diet solely of dried foods can lead to constipation or internal infection which can be the precursor to Dropsy. Dropsy is more a symptom of a problem more than the cause of the problem. It's from the fish's inability to regulate their liquid exchange from the body. This is due to organ failure. So their diet should include vegetable matter ( either flake or frozen or infused in brine shrimp) as well as foods with Chiton ( which is a roughage) to help keep the fish's intestines moving food along. Chiton is found in the shells of foods like brine shrimp, mysis shrimps, daphnia and water bugs. I would change your feeding to the Guppy/livebearer foods for one feeding and one of the other foods I mentioned for the second feeding. Even better would be say, Guppy food and Spirulina infused frozen brine shrimp on one day and then A general good quality flake food with either Spirulina flake or frozen Daphnia or frozen Bloodworms for the second feeding on the next day then continue to rotate the different foods so that the fish has a diet of 3-5 different items. In my Hatchery, I fed 3 times per day. Morning was general flake. Afternoon was a higher protein flake or live worms and evening was always frozen brine shrimp. ( There was no such thing as algae infused brine shrimp or else I would have used it. (y) ) Every morning, the floors of my tanks had generous amounts of "Poo" that the brine shrimp helped produce. :brows: Proof that their " pipes" were flowing well. :D

As for the stress factor: While separating the male platies from the females is a great way of controlling population, a colony of males only will sometimes fight for dominance so you really need to have them in a tank with a lot of hiding spots or other fish in there to distract them from fighting each other. 1 extra Molly is not going to cut it for distraction. Use lots of taller frilly plants for good hiding ability.

Unfortunately, females can also have issues with pregnancies and when giving birth which can also kill them so there is no real way of controlling that. The best you can do is keep them in as healthy a condition as possible to help reduce issues.

Truthfully, if the Guppy is a male, pairing him with any Tetra is not the best idea as any tetra specie can be fin nippers and since the male guppies have that enlarged tail that does hinder their swimming abilities somewhat, they are sitting ducks for fish that can swim at normal speeds. Female Guppies at least are better, faster swimmers so they can fight back better. Still, not the best pairing.

As for your equipment, unless it is all bone dry before using it in another tank, there is the possibility of cross contamination. It's better to rinse nets in salted water or a bleach solution or there used to be a solution called Net Safe by Jungle Labs which is a sanitizer or left in the sun to dry completely. Hoses should be rinsed, inside and outside, with either hot water or a mild bleach solution.

I'll add this: I think, based on what you have told us, that it's more coincidental that you have 3 fish in 3 different tanks having similar issues than a disease that was cross contaminated. Considering that 2 tanks are both platies, both could be having dominance or dietary issues. The fish with Dropsy could very easily have been a dietary issue. Usually, when there is a water issue, all the fish suffer, not just one or two. Sure some fish may be able to hold on longer than others under bad conditions but they too will visibly be effected.

That's how I see it. (y)

Ok, thanks for all the advice! I will try to add some variety in their diet, and hidings spots and hopefully that will prevent anything in the future.
For the guppy, the bubbles are definitely in the fin, it looks like his fin has trapped gas like a balloon in a couple spots. The filter doesn't usually make a lot of bubbles because I keep it close to the water level, but it was lower this past week and did make bubbles when it broke the surface so maybe that caused it. I have an airstone but it only does big bubbles so I doubt that's causing it.
How should I treat it other than making sure the filter doesn't make any more little bubbles?

Ok, thanks for all the advice! I will try to add some variety in their diet, and hidings spots and hopefully that will prevent anything in the future.
For the guppy, the bubbles are definitely in the fin, it looks like his fin has trapped gas like a balloon in a couple spots. The filter doesn't usually make a lot of bubbles because I keep it close to the water level, but it was lower this past week and did make bubbles when it broke the surface so maybe that caused it. I have an airstone but it only does big bubbles so I doubt that's causing it.
How should I treat it other than making sure the filter doesn't make any more little bubbles?
There's not really anything you can do for the fish. Time should allow the gas to eventually get reabsorbed into the body.

Back
Top Bottom