Fish flakes as Ammonia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betta_Lover97

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi!

I'm new to this hobby and I've been trying to do fishless cycling for about 2 weeks now. I don't really know what I'm doing. Pls help!

So, I dumped the entire bottle of TSS into my 3 gallon tank, and I used fish flakes to get the ammonia. However, it just won't go up to the amount of ammonia that I want.

Did I do something wrong? I dechlorinated the water a day before I used the TSS though.

One more thing, during the first week, I used the API test strip. I only later realized later on that it's inaccurate. Anyway, about a week and a half into the process I used the API master kit instead. Here's the result:

Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 1.0ppm
Nitrate: 10-20ppm Couldn't really decide which one I was on.

And today, day 16

Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite: Didn't test
Nitrate: 10-20ppm

It's like all of those flakes have no effect at all.

You can get pure ammonia at the store - like a dollar store, or ace hardware - just make sure there are no additives.

By using fish flakes, you are getting the tank dirty unnecessarily. I have used them before but I didn't know I could use ammonia. You have nitrate which means things are happening. Fishless cycle takes around 4-7 weeks depending upon the conditions. I would use the ammonia to get things moving faster.

What is the tank temp at right now? You might try raising the tank temp. if you aren't already doing that.

Hi! First of all, thanks for the reply.

Anyway, I kind of threw in too much food flakes and the water turned super cloudy, and it smelled too. However, I changed the water 2 times already. The first time I changed about 25% of the water, and the second one I changed almost 100%. The water is back to normal now. It's not crystal clear yet, but way way better than before.

But the water parameter is a bit weird. It's been 1ppm ammonia 0ppm Nitrite and about 5ppm nitrate for 2 days straight now.
I haven't checked it again since yesterday. I thought maybe I'm just stressing too much over it. I just want to let it goes in it own without me doing anything to it.

Also, I already increase the temp. Thanks for the advice though.

Hi! First of all, thanks for the reply.

Anyway, I kind of threw in too much food flakes and the water turned super cloudy, and it smelled too. However, I changed the water 2 times already. The first time I changed about 25% of the water, and the second one I changed almost 100%. The water is back to normal now. It's not crystal clear yet, but way way better than before.

But the water parameter is a bit weird. It's been 1ppm ammonia 0ppm Nitrite and about 5ppm nitrate for 2 days straight now.
I haven't checked it again since yesterday. I thought maybe I'm just stressing too much over it. I just want to let it goes in it own without me doing anything to it.

Also, I already increase the temp. Thanks for the advice though.

You're welcome.

Adding too much flakes can happen - why ammonia may work better. Good that you got the mucky smelly water out. No one likes a fish tank that smells like that!!!

You are right, probably stressing too much over it. It takes some time to feed the bacteria to grow, and multiply to grow enough to keep fish and be able to process the waste.

Just review the steps listed.

Back
Top Bottom