Fish for community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeDaniels

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone have any ideas for a large community tank, I currently have 1 pleco, 1 rainbow shark, 1 Chinese algae eater, 5 cardinal tetra and 1 betta. So does anyone have any ideas for this tank :) no snails or livebearers such as guppies :)

I would add more tetras for sure to get a good school going, what size tank is this?

I personally wouldn't add much more than what you have already aside from a few more tetras & yes cardinals will get along :) A school of 10 or so would look great. You could try some cories as well! What kind of pleco?

It's a common that came with the tank, it isn't to large yet but may be soon :/ so off it will go. And yeah I know but It doesn't look like there are enough fish in there :/ and yeah I think I'll get 5 neons they will look nice together :)

How about some Black Ruby Barbs? I think they great:dance: as they are not as aggressive as Tiger Barbs and the males turn this awesome black and red coloration during breeding. You would need a shoal of at least 5.

Yeah barbs sound good. I need some top water or mid water fish as I have to many bottom feeders at the moment :/

Most Barbs would do ok in your 50 (y)but the Black-Ruby are one of my favorite Barbs. Another similar looking (coloration) alternative to the TigerBarb is the 5 Banded Barb (Puntius Pentazona) ... I'm looking for those myself but I've heard / read they're a more peaceful Barb than the Tiger ... again you'd need at least 5.

I do not want to make it seem I'm bad mouthing TigerBarbs:nono:. I enjoy mine a-lot!! Granted they have a reputation for fin nipping, but if you keep them in a shoal of at least 5-6, they focus their aggression more on each other.:banghead:

jcolon said:
Most Barbs would do ok in your 50 (y)but the Black-Ruby are one of my favorite Barbs. Another similar looking (coloration) alternative to the TigerBarb is the 5 Banded Barb (Puntius Pentazona) ... I'm looking for those myself but I've heard / read they're a more peaceful Barb than the Tiger ... again you'd need at least 5.

I do not want to make it seem I'm bad mouthing TigerBarbs:nono:. I enjoy mine a-lot!! Granted they have a reputation for fin nipping, but if you keep them in a shoal of at least 5-6, they focus their aggression more on each other.:banghead:

I think that the barbs will have problems with the betta, or the other way around.

Im quite the fan of loaches so maybe have a look at some of those.

Clown loaches grow to be a foot or more so a 50gal is way to small they need at least a 120g I think and need to be in a group of 5 or more. Other smaller loaches could be considered though.

I would start by looking at fish you like and then checking to see if they would be compatible with what you have. You need to be careful what you mix with your betta. I don't know much about rainbow sharks but I think they get fairly big and can be pretty aggresive too.

I thought the rainbow shark was an aggressive type of fish. Not sure about tetras there.

JoeDaniels said:
Does anyone have any ideas for a large community tank, I currently have 1 pleco, 1 rainbow shark, 1 Chinese algae eater, 5 cardinal tetra and 1 betta. So does anyone have any ideas for this tank :) no snails or livebearers such as guppies :)

Just a heads up that Chinese algae eaters get fairly large, about a foot, and have been known to latch on and "suck" on live fish and kill them. I was at the lfs today and quite a few four inch ones were returned for just that very reason.

Yeah the Chinese algae eater came with the tank and I'm not a big fan to be honest so I will be getting rid of him soon. Yeah people say rainbow sharks are aggressive but in my experience there not actually that bad even one as large as mine. What types of loach are there that are nice then ?

Back
Top Bottom