Fish found dead stuck to my filter drain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

M Riley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Greetings, I have a question…. Is this common for small fish to get stuck in the filter drain/vacuum pipe/tube end? I'm confident that my water is fine my ammonia levels are at 0 my Nitrite is less that 0.25. So far my 45 gallon tank is cycling, going on 1 month and two weeks. I do partial water changes as advised, use the recommended amounts of prime, sea salt, no ich, and my water temps are stable at 80-82 degrees. In my tank I have 4 red eye tetras, 4 minor tetras, 5 pristella tetras, 2 angle fish. All groups of fish have been introduced weekly. I have a 'Marineland (Bio wheel) Power Filter Penguin 350' for an 60-80 gallon tank. This morning I found one red eye tetra and one pristella tetra dead stuck to the filter drain. How can I prevent this if possible. There's a lever on the top part of the drain/vacuum pipe/tube. I have it closed all the way. If I open it partially would that help relieve suction from the bottom part of the tube/pipe?

What kind of test are you using to do your parameter checks?

How much of a water change are you doing, how often?

Usually, healthy fish DO NOT get caught on filter intakes. 90% of the time, the fish are dead or dying.

You should have 0 nitrites. Are you showing nitrates at all?

Your tank isn't cycled. As stated above, only dead or dying fish will get stuck. I've seen week old fry swim off of a filter intake.

By adding as many fish as you did, you never gave the beneficial bacteria time to actually cycle the tank, you've kept them on the run. Please don't add any more fish until you are cycled.

I'm doing 50% water changes every 3 days, when I'm off to work out of town but daily changes when I'm home. This is all the fish I want for now. Small, cheap, fairly strong beginner fish. I feel bad that they died but as a noob I was expecting a few to die the the cycle process....

Actually, when I was new to the hobby and didn't know about forums like this one, I cycled my first tank with fish. Not a single death. It doesn't have to happen.

Now that you have more research and information, you can take the appropriate steps.

Did you say there is salt in your tank? Why? What kind of tests do you use? Liquid or strips? How long have you had the fish that died? Do you see any other fish with symptoms?

The salt is most likely just a stress thing. It also helps in preventing and the healing of burns from the bad water. Just let the tank cycle. And the fish should not have got stuck on the intake tube.

Back
Top Bottom