fish has red gills...HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giffmastaflex

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought my African leaf fish a few weeks ago and I just found out that he is having red gills all of a sudden, I fed my fish today and I notice that he hasn't eaten today either, what should I do?

First of all, what size is your tank, and have you changed your water recently? Have you tested your water parameters, or had your water tested at your local fish store? (LFS)

If you have, what were they? Red gills is usually caused by unhealthy water

GNarnian said:
First of all, what size is your tank, and have you changed your water recently? Have you tested your water parameters, or had your water tested at your local fish store? (LFS)

If you have, what were they? Red gills is usually caused by unhealthy water

+1, sounds like there may be ammonia poisoning happening.

I am due for a water change and I tested my water about 2 days ago and it was all in the ranges that they were suppose to be in, but ill do a water change just in case

giffmastaflex said:
I am due for a water change and I tested my water about 2 days ago and it was all in the ranges that they were suppose to be in, but ill do a water change just in case

So you have 0 ammonia & nitrites, <40 nitrates?

Did you qt him properly before adding him to your tank? If not and your water parameters are good, I would suspect gill flukes as the cause. Praziquantel (prazipro) is a safe & effective treatment.

Yeah and he has been in the tank for about 3 weeks to a month and I just took a look at him this morning and the red is fading alittle, its not that noticeable

Back
Top Bottom