Fish hiding, white fillm on face

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WCAlexander

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got this fish yesterday and this morning it was hiding, I found it in a corner and it had this white stuff on its face? What coulld it be and what can be done?

Sent from my SCH-R960 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1410615972829.jpg
    1410615972829.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 71
Better picture, the tank has been set up for three weeks with fish. Last I had it checked yesterday ammonia was under 4ppm, I just did a 20% water change last night.

Attachments

• 1410616209084.jpg
    1410616209084.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 62
Better picture, the tank has been set up for three weeks with fish. Last I had it checked yesterday ammonia was under 4ppm, I just did a 20% water change last night.

The ammonia is way too high! It should be 0. Another water change, probably at least 40% is a must. If you have a clean bucket that has never been cleaned with soap, put the fish in there.

Also, are you treating your water with prime? Add some immediately to the tank and use primed water for the bucket guy. You should really quarantine all new fish so they do not spread disease if they have any.

This could be ammonia burn or stress - but poor water quality is definitely a factor. Really, ammonia at 4 is through the roof. Look out for signs of distress in your other fish too.

But do a water change ASAP and you MUST use,an ammonia detoxifier.

As above.

Either bacterial or fungal - I'd try treating for fungal first. I'd say water conditions (eg temp as well) as set it off.

Treated with prime every water change, water changes every day, 20% is about as much as I can do. Added api fungal cure today.

I have a 45 gallon tank and only five "big" fish. Small group of white clouds. Other fish seem fine. Under four means approximately 2 or so, I dont distinguish colors well.

Treated with prime every water change, water changes every day, 20% is about as much as I can do. Added api fungal cure today.

Are you pretreating the replacement water with prime and letting it sit for a night or so?

2 is still high, but I get the difficulty with distinguishing colors, I have a hard time with that as well.

Ok, sounds good. Be careful not to overdose. Just in case as you don't want to kill off any of your nitrifying bacteria.

My replacement water is mostly RO water, which I treat, and some well water to fill in the edges, also lightly treated. Ive only been letting it sit an hour or so.

Back
Top Bottom