Fish in cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scouser

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all, so 2moro I'm going to pick up 2 fish to start the cycling in my 17 gallon.

I don't have my API Master Kit (left it @ home and mum is mailing it before Sat) so I want a fish that shouldn't create too much waste till then (though I will do a small water change (10-15%) Thur/Fri to remove most toxins).

I'm also looking for fish that will compliment the black gravel and light green fake plant :)

I prefer schooling fish so I was thinking maybe Tetra?

And please don't recommend fishless because I've read up a lot on both and I prefer this method.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Don't cycle with fish, it's cruel to the fish. Lfs tell people to do that for a sale and although it is possible, it's much easier fishless. Type in fishless cycle on the forums to see how to, ther are some great threads about it. Good luck :)

needmorecowbell said:
Don't cycle with fish, it's cruel to the fish. Lfs tell people to do that for a sale and although it is possible, it's much easier fishless. Type in fishless cycle on the forums to see how to, ther are some great threads about it. Good luck :)

Fish in cycling isn't dangerous to the fish if done correctly. I've done a ton of research on the 2 topics and so far fish-less doesn't appeal to me.

I know I can manage the quality of the water easily (no work ATM) so that's the option I'm going for :)

If you can do that many water changes I don't see why not, but why not just relax and know your cycling FOR the fish not with the fish. I'm gonna let the more experienced people on this subject do the talking for me. Just be careful. Also neon tetras are a great schooling fish but aren't so hardy because of overbreeding. A lot of tetras are pretty and school though.

I am sure I can keep up on it, if not a guy across the road has a large tank and I'm sure he would take the fish for a while.

Or I could put them in a small 1 gal tank while I remove and replace enough water for it to be safe.

I have thought of a lot of precautions and have a few ways to stop death :)

Thanks for your concern though! Shows you care about the hobby and the fish :D

Scouser said:
..if not a guy across the road has a large tank...

Beg the guy for established filter media. If you can get enough...cycling will be a breeze. Remember that to consider a tank "cycled", you simply have to have a sufficient amount beneficial bacteria that it's capable of converting the waste produced in the tank. With enough seeded media and by stocking slowly and lightly...you can easily establish a stable aquarium. :)

eco23 said:
Beg the guy for established filter media. If you can get enough...cycling will be a breeze. Remember that to consider a tank "cycled", you simply have to have a sufficient amount beneficial bacteria that it's capable of converting the waste produced in the tank. With enough seeded media and by stocking slowly and lightly...you can easily establish a stable aquarium. :)

I'll have to see, I've asked before and not got too far.

Would a nice amount of gravel provide enough of a bed to start the nitro cycle?

I mean I don't really know the guy too well and I don't wanna seem rude asking to give me his stuff lol.

Scouser said:
I'll have to see, I've asked before and not got too far.

Would a nice amount of gravel provide enough of a bed to start the nitro cycle?

I mean I don't really know the guy too well and I don't wanna seem rude asking to give me his stuff lol.

I consider gravel or decoration from an established tank as true "seeding" material, not necessarily a way to rapidly establish a bio-filter. Think of it like a plant or a tree...a handful of gravel would be like planting a seed, it introduces some of the bacteria so it can begin growing...but established filter media is like someone giving you a fully grown tree. It's better than nothing, but in comparison to filter media it's not a huge help. I'd take it if you can get it, but you don't want to rely on it heavily.

Well if the guy won't give me some would you think my LFS or Pets At Home would?

I'd be willing to pay (a small sum because I'm poor ATM lol).

I imagine if I to buy their fish then this isn't really a net loss so to speak

Ya ask him for a really used up filter cartridge from his tank if he uses that. He would throw it away normally so giving it to you isn't a problem at all really

needmorecowbell said:
Ya ask him for a really used up filter cartridge from his tank if he uses that. He would throw it away normally so giving it to you isn't a problem at all really

I'll pop over either 2moro or Sat.

I'll also see if my LFS is doing any filter changes and ask for some of theirs :)

Scouser said:
Well if the guy won't give me some would you think my LFS or Pets At Home would?

I'd be willing to pay (a small sum because I'm poor ATM lol).

I imagine if I to buy their fish then this isn't really a net loss so to speak

A local store may...but the chain stores most likely would not. Honestly, I wouldn't take filter media from a place like PetSmart even if they offered me every scrap in the store.

Most likely the guy across the street doesn't know that you're never supposed to replace the filter media until it's falling apart, so I agree that he's probably just throwing it out and replacing it occasionally. You could always ask for a scrap before it goes in the garbage. You don't want to take everything he has and cause his tank to mini-cycle...but I'd definitely try and get some. I'd explain that's where the majority of the BB is...but try and get a piece first.

One thing people forget is that there's an invention called scissors, lol. He could always cut off a small section if he doesn't want to donate the whole thing.

Another alternative is to have him squeeze the filters out really well into a baggie of tank water. That way he's not losing anything and you'd at least transfer some of the bacteria to your tank.

Give it a shot. One thing I've learned in life is that if you don't ask...the answer is always no :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom