Fish or Clean Up crew First?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nuwave59

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi!

I'm planning to cycle my tank with dead shrimp and base rock, then add a few pounds of live rock once the cycling is completed.

What do I add next? Fish or snails first?

Thanks!

You won't have much algae growth until a few weeks after cycling until you are planning on running your lights during the cycling process. I best suggestion would be too add a fish than wait a week and added on your CUC, because by than you should have some algae growth.

I would for sure add the live rock BEFORE your cycle ends, it can help boost the cycling process. if you add it after the cycle you will have to cure it in a separate container for at least a few days to avoid any die off from the live rock. if you put it in after the cycle you may have a spike in parameters. :)

I would add fish first, get yourself some thing to feed then add the crew. You could just get some hermits and snails and feed them too. It's up to you

Yup. Just what I was going to say. Just like she said, MAKE SURE TO GET THE LR BEFORE CYCLING. This will help you A LOT. GL with your tank.

I always cycle with a outrageous amount of live rock and mix alot of cheato right in the main tank, I also add a fish during the 2nd week of cycling, then the following week a member of the CUC preferably a crab or snail, I always add a powerhead or 2 to keep good water movement during cycling

Hi! I'm really happy!
Just got 25 lbs of live rock for 40$! And the nice lady who sold it to me will keep it in her tank for a month! Do I add the base rock and the live rock together? or can I start the cycle with a dead shrimp and 20 lbs of base rock, then add the live rock 2 weeks later?

I would add it all at once. The live rock will help the cycle and avoid a mini cyle in 2 weeks when you add the live rock.

Ok so that's what I'll do then!
And since I have a lots of rock, I don't need to add a shrimp?
It's a 30g tank.
Also, I build a refugium in my sump. When do I add the macroalgae? Once the cycling is complete?

i would still add either the shrimp or the pure ammonia to get a good bacteria load. I used live rock and ammonia and I cycled in about a week. i also kept the ammonia at 4ppm the entire time so I would have a huge plentiful bacteria base.

I would add the macro after you cycle. You can add the sand and live rock to the refugium though now in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom