Fish-safe Glue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureGirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm currently working on renovating one of my aquariums, and I have some nice lava rocks that I want to fashion into a cave. The only problem is that I can't figure out what the best bonding agent would be for such a project. I'm looking for something that sets relatively quickly, doesn't cost a whole lot of money (or better yet, something I might already have at home), doesn't deteriorate in water, 'flake', turn milky-white, or leech anything into the water!

One thing I already have on hand is a surplus of hot glue. But I don't want to use it if it will hurt my fish and shrimps or eventually just fall apart.

What have been your experiences with different types of DIY aquarium adhesives? And advice would be greatly appreciated!

Plus one - I get a gel based super glue from hardware store. I get the gel one as often glueing driftwood back to ornaments to keep them in the spot and the gel seems better for that.

Or still useful if I can lower water level enough.

I usually do a big water change and also check the water surface for glue plumes that float off.

Never noticed a problem with fish or plants (apart from chasing loaches away before it dries geez).

GE Silicone 1 is also a good option.

Make sure its GE SIlicone 1 and not 2 or anything else.

its how I made these

33287253945_2fa1fb5f6d_h.jpg

Last edited:
Hot glue sticks are ethylene based and are not toxic to humans or fish. That would work for what your are trying to do. It would come apart over time, but you should get a good 5 years out of it.

Back
Top Bottom