Fish Show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purrbox

Aquarium Advice Addict
This weekend was my Fish Club's Annual Fish Show. Last year I helped out but didn't enter anything as I wanted to get a feel for how things work. This year I bit the bullet and actually had four entries.

In the Plant category:
Needle Leaf Java Fern (Microsorum sp.)
Riccia fluitans
Weeping Moss (Vesicularia ferriei)

In the Aquatic Animal category:
Cherry Red Shrimp

I came home with five awards for my four entries! I swept the plant class taking 1st (Needle Leaf Java Fern), 2nd (Riccia fluitans), and 3rd (Weeping Moss). Third place started as a tie after the initial judging results were in, but the Judges granted my moss the win after discussing the two entries. I had the inside scoop, since I was doing the tabulation (number crunching). There wasn't a lot of competition in the Aquatic Animal category (my shrimp were the only entry!) so that was an easy 1st place, but it also gained me the Best Novice Award which included an AquaClear Filter. Overall it was a great experience and I'm looking forward to next year. Right now I'm looking forward to some sleep as I'm exhausted!

I did get some pictures before tear down, and will post some when I'm mentally up to dealing with my camera.

Congrats Purrbox...........I bet u didnt know bullets taste so good :lol:

Awesome Joy!!!

I wish I had a fish club around here. (I know it takes someone to start one.)

Awaiting the pics!

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. Here are the pictures I promised.

A little background on the last picture. This Shellie was MIA all during Judging on Saturday and was causing concern that it didn't actually make the trip to the show in its shell. It finally came out for pictures on Sunday. Since Jchillin is always trying to convince me to give Cichlids a try, I decided to try to get a picture for him.

Attachments

• shellie_196.jpg
    shellie_196.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 34
  • aquaticanimals1stplace_cherryredshrimp_196.jpg
    aquaticanimals1stplace_cherryredshrimp_196.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 28
  • plants3rdplace_weepingmoss_129.jpg
    plants3rdplace_weepingmoss_129.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 32
  • plants2ndplace_riccia_928.jpg
    plants2ndplace_riccia_928.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 35
  • plants1stplace_needleleafjavafern_207.jpg
    plants1stplace_needleleafjavafern_207.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 40
Purrbox said:
Since Jchillin is always trying to convince me to give Cichlids a try, I decided to try to get a picture for him.

Now isn't that a nice gesture? :) He looks pretty content and worthy of finding his way into your home.

Great job on the entries as well. (y)

Purrbox, can you explain how the judging takes place? How are the plants awarded points and so on.

Thanks

For our show we bring in two guest judges. They are then given the criteria that they are to judge the entries on using a point system.

Aquascaped Tanks
100 points total
25 points available for each of the following:
Body Shape & Size
Finnage
Color & Deportment
Aquascaping

Aquascaping is further broken down, with 5 available points for each of the following:
Maintenance & Workmanship
Showmanship
Artistic Value
Appropriate to Entry
General Appearance

Bowls (No Aquascaping)
75 points total
Body Shape & Size
Finnage
Color & Deportment

Plants
100 points total
Leaf Shape & Size
Stems & Roots
Color & Texture
Display

Art and Photography are simply ranked, and Kiddies just receive comments. Once the entries have been judged the tabulator receives the forms. The points are totaled, converted to a percentage, and then averaged between the judges. The entries are then ranked from high to low. If there is a tie for one of the top three spots, then the judges are asked to review the entries involved in the tie and rank them via consensus.

The Show Chairperson keeps track of which entries qualify for additional trophies like Best of Show, Best Novice, and Best Junior. A list is presented to the judges at the end of judging and they are asked to pick by consensus the winner for each of these additional categories.

Like any judged event there is a certain amount of subjectiveness involved. The same fish can be granted points very differently just because the judge picks up on different things. This is especially true with fish show where a fish may put on an excellant show for one and go into hiding for the other.

Hope this helps.

Hey Joy,
Your tanks at the show were simply awesome! Cam and I loved your shrimp most of all. The aquascaping was quite nice. :)

Sorry that we missed you. :( I had too many exams to grade that weekend, but seeing the show was very inspiring.

Back
Top Bottom