fish suggestions for a 55 to 75gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tukie2kie

Aquarium Advice Regular
What are some suggestions for a 55gal to 75gal freshwater tank, i want some sort of community tank and obviously with a bigger tank I have more options.

What would be some good fish combiniations for a new 55gal or larger fw tank

(i have a 20gal community tank that I have had for over 6 months and I am thinking of purchasing a 55gal or larget locally i found a bunch on craigs list and I woudl set it up this summer)

Are you looking for larger fish or a lot of little fish. I think a school of active fish would look great. I would say Tiger Barbs, but they are semi-aggressive. A whole lot of Rasboroas school great together. Livebearers look great and don't get too large, but get all females or else you're in for a world of trouble trying to figure out what to do with the fry. Cories are my favorite bottom dwellers and a group of them are great to watch wriggling around the bottom.

1. most any tetra, every tank should have neons/cardinal, you cant be a true aquariust if you dont

2. a pleco, not a common one, but a nugget, bristlenose, rubber lip... every tanks should have a pleco as well, theres no reason a tank should be pleco-less

3. gouramis, over look the dwarf kinds that may or may not give you trouble, and you have tons of choices, moonlight, pearl, kissers...

4. cories, if you've noticed, this site highly condones them

5. smaller loaches, kuhlis, dojo, yoyo, zebra, anglicius

6. tiger or cherry barbs, though you need enough that they dont feel they bother other fish, make sure you have more female than male cherry barbs, or the males will harass the minority female barbs

7. upside down cats, make sure they have a surface they can be upside down in (ex. roof of a cave)

8. glass catfish, who doesn't love a blind, transparent fish

9. shrimp, doesnt matter what kind

Yea i have cories in my 20gal right now and I love them, they are my favorite fish that I have. I was thinking about getting some larger fish though

If ya are going that big, why not do some kind of cichlid.

Rainbows! Delicious rainbows. And the cories, and some loaches and BN plecos. And a school of tetras.

I would definitely get the 75 if you can, 'specially if you want to plant it. I find the footprint of a 55 harder to work with. Although some people who think they're so great have stunning 55s, of course. :)

Back
Top Bottom