Fish tank glass issue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stebo12

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 75 gallon Oceanic glass fish tank that has a buildup on the inside wall (calcium?). I am not sure what it is, but I tried vinegar with a dish washing pad when I have the tank empty. I should spent more time trying to clean it before I set the tank up. Anyhow, now that it is setup...I tried scrubbing with different types of pads, and I tried a razor blade. Whatever it is, it is on the glass good. What do you think it is and what do you think is the best way to remove this? I know I may have to break the tank down again to clean this off.

Attachments

• 100_0564.jpg
    100_0564.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 70
I have that on my tank and I couldn't remove it because I can usually chip off the calcium with a razor blade but that seemed to be stained on. Even if I scrubbed it, it was still there...

I have heard that some folks soak paper towels in vinegar and let them sit on the glass. Takes some time and elbow grease.

Sometimes if it's bad enough the buildup will actual etch the glass, I've read about it happening on people's windows and such in there homes. I'm going through the same thing with a 55 I picked up on CL, in which case the glass actually needs to be buffed and polished out. Let's hope the vinegar works for you!

Back
Top Bottom