Fish tank makeover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danno

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Wondering what the best way to redecorate a tank would be. It will only be plants and decor I won't have to do anything under the gravel. Can I just take some water out and put my fish into a separate container then rearrange, add water and run the filter for a little to get whatever is floating around from moving gravel around??

You can. I re-arrange my tanks all the time with fish in them. The only time I've removed fish was when I was upgrading tanks or changing substrate. This past weekend I re-arranged the whole tank, took out plants, put in new wood, changed water, etc. I just moved slowly and was careful that fish weren't in the way of what I was doing. Then the rest of the day I keep the lights off to reduce their stress levels. I'm sure if they could speak they'd shake their fins at me and swear, though. :D

I do almost exactly the same thing librarygirl does unless I am moving substrate. IMO I feel the stress level of the fish is less when I do slow rearranging with them in than if I move them to another tank for a few minutes or hours while I do it.

Perfect thank you that should make things easy enough.

I rearranged and did some clean up last night in my tank.

My goldfish were just curious swimming up to my hand etc. No fear at all.

Fish get to know ya. and where the food comes from........

I am chaning gravel to sand but i have no where to put the fosh will in the sink be ok till i change over

It is a 12g and ny filter is a ehiem but just bought a aqua internal 100 dont no if u jerd of any of then haha

How long has the tank been set up? What fish do you have in it?

The gravel will have beneficial bacteria as well as your filter. Removing the gravel could cause a mini-cycle.

If it was me, I'd just take out half the gravel and replace with sand. And then in a week or so replace the rest.
I'd just leave the fish in the tank and work slow.

Neons are so sensitive, IMHO. I would hate to see them die during a minicycle.

The gravel will have beneficial bacteria as well as your filter. Removing the gravel could cause a mini-cycle.

If it was me, I'd just take out half the gravel and replace with sand. And then in a week or so replace the rest.
I'd just leave the fish in the tank and work slow.

Neons are so sensitive, IMHO. I would hate to see them die during a minicycle.

Will all the bacteria from decorations and filter not prevent a mini cycle

Will all the bacteria from decorations and filter not prevent a mini cycle

The fish would probably be ok .
I was giving conservative advice. Error on the side of caution.

If you are going to do it, I would use a bucket to house your filter and your fishes.

While you change out the gravel.

I dislike gravel, by the way, sand is much easier to keep clean and no build up between the rocks.

Back
Top Bottom