Fish that eat small snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alice T.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank is being overrun by bladder snails! I want to get some new fish that will take care of them. The only issue is that I have three nerite snails that I love and don’t want them to be eaten. Is there a type of fish that only eats small snails? I have a 27 gal tank filled with platys.

I know it’s not a fish but if you have a good amount of bladder snails and larger nerite snails then an assassin snail might work. They are also really cool looking and
don’t reproduce on their own or fast.

I know it’s not a fish but if you have a good amount of bladder snails and larger nerite snails then an assassin snail might work. They are also really cool looking and
don’t reproduce on their own or fast.

I thought about that, I’m just a little worried about them eating my nerites. Do you know if they eat bigger snails or not? Also thank you!

They shouldn’t if the nerites are bigger than it and it has a good source of food. But it is still possible for them to eat a larger snail just less common.

Like most fish, platys are omnivores. Just crush a pest snail or two between your fingers to give them a nice treat. "Fresh meat" like crushed snails and chopped earthworms is relished by small fish but never provide any more than they immediately consume as uneaten it rots quickly and will foul the water.

Like most fish, platys are omnivores. Just crush a pest snail or two between your fingers to give them a nice treat. "Fresh meat" like crushed snails and chopped earthworms is relished by small fish but never provide any more than they immediately consume as uneaten it rots quickly and will foul the water.

Idk why I didn’t think about this. I didn’t want to kill them myself because that felt cruel but feeding them to the fish is kind of genius. Thank you!

Idk why I didn’t think about this. I didn’t want to kill them myself because that felt cruel but feeding them to the fish is kind of genius. Thank you!

Just do one or two at first as they might not recognize as food and ignore. Once they have the taste they'll go after it like mad.

I crush the bladder snails. I have two assassin snails that cleverly hide, they don't eat as many bladder snails as I'd like and I think they do harm my very large Mystery snails, because I can't seem to keep them alive for much longer than a few months. So I crush the bladder snails, the fish eat the crumbs and I'm not getting anymore snails (which I love) because of the darn assassin snails.

Assassin snails will go after a nerite snail if there is enough of them and they are hungry. I'm told cory will eat bladder snail eggs - can vouch for it myself but given they eat their own snails it sort of make sense. Loaches (not kuhli) will eat snails. You might be able to put in 3 or 4 zebra (they prefer larger groups but your tank is pretty small). of the loaches i've played with zebra are the most docile - very nice friendly fish. yoyo and clowns are too large for your tank and dwarf loaches are probably too active.

Back
Top Bottom