Fish you never see eat anything?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tim Wheatley

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm wondering how many of you have a fish like this who seems to never eat?

I have a Syn catfish, photo:
Syn Catfish | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I've had him now about four months or so and I've never seen him eat, ever. He seems very healthy and is massively active just after water changes and just after the lights go out or come on, then maybe once or twice through the day. He is maybe 6-8 inches long from nose to the end of his tail. I do put food in there for him, but not every day because like I said, I've never seen him take any and I don't want the food just rotting away...

So, anybody else have any fish who seem to stay alive and you have no idea how? :)

Cheers,

Tim

Hmm, have you tried feeding him at night ? Catfish are nocturnal and mostly come out at night. Thats what their whiskers are for, they use them as 'feelers' to find food and get around.

I used to have a pictus that I though never ate because he wouldnt come out and eat the shrimp pellets at day, but soon I found out that he ate them up at night. :p

I've had my raphael cat for 16-17 years and I rarely see him eat anything. He hides in his cave all day. I'm lucky to catch him out at night by turning the room lights on low with the dimmer switch at night. I do see signs of his activity at night. He likes to dig new caves and kick up the sand.

I have plenty if fish that I never see eat. I never see my elephant nose eat. But he is fat and happy. And also my bumblebee catfish. My Raphael eats very well surprisingly. He comes out in the day time to eat with everyone else. I alternate everyday between day and night feedings.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Ha! Thanks guys. I always do feed about an hour before the timer turns the lights off and I'll normally see him swimming around after they have turned off, but no matter how closely I watch the food I never see him eat it. It's always gone the next morning but it's impossible to know whether it was him who took it. I guess he is just doing a good job of being a scavenger... He hides very well and finds food when he has to.

Back
Top Bottom