FishBowls banned in Rome!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bhunsucker

Aquarium Advice Freak
Rome bans 'cruel' goldfish bowls

From CNN:

Rome bans 'cruel' goldfish bowls

ROME, Italy (Reuters) -- The city of Rome has banned goldfish bowls, which animal rights activists say are cruel, and has made regular dog-walks mandatory in the Italian capital, the town's council said on Tuesday.

The classic spherical fish bowls are banned under a new by-law which also stops fish or other animals being given away as fairground prizes. It comes after a national law was passed to allow jail sentences for people who abandon cats or dogs.

"It's good to do whatever we can for our animals who in exchange for a little love fill our existence with their attention," said Monica Cirinna, the councilor behind the by-law.

"The civilization of a city can also be measured by this," she told Rome daily Il Messaggero.

The newspaper reported that round bowls caused fish to go blind. No one at Rome council was available to confirm this was why they were banned. Many fish experts say round bowls provide insufficient oxygen for fish.

In July 2004, parliament passed a law setting big fines and jail terms for people who abandon pets and since then local governments have added their own animal welfare rules many of which will be difficult to police.

The northern city of Turin passed a law in April to fine pet owners up to 500 euros ($597.7) if they do not walk their dogs at least three times a day.

The new Rome by-law requires owners to regularly exercise their dogs, and bans them from docking their pets' tails for aesthetic reasons.

It also provides legal recognition for cat lovers who provide food for the colonies of strays which live everywhere from the city's ancient Roman ruins to modern office car parks.

Animal rights groups estimate that around 150,000 pet dogs and 200,000 cats are abandoned in Italy every year.

Copyright 2005 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/10/25/italy.fishbowls.reut/index.html

Do round bowls really cause fish to go blind?? I never heard that before.

Funny that you can no longer chop off the tail of certain dog breeds...I always found that a weird practice. But are moms still allowed to chop off the tip of their newborn son's penis?? Odd that the dog tail would get protection first.

How do you enforce this? I think they are a little overboard with their animal laws. Being that I follow dog news daily when I heard about the three walks a day law I knew I'd be in trouble if I lived there. My cocker is too old to go for walks and my toller gets one long walk a day, not three. They have some weird laws though, how do you enforce a goldfish bowl law, check every house? I guess its good though because it sends a message and educates fish owners as well as other animal owners.

They are probably just not going to sell any fishbowls anymore.

In Germany they don't have a law against goldfish bowl, but pretty much every body thinks they are cruel and ugly anyway. I was surprised when I got to the US how much "trash" or "junk" is sold in the stores. Enourmous ailes of plastic plants, fish bowls everywhere, pink and orange gravel, underwater lightshows etc..

I mean face it, most people go to the store, get a tiny fishbowl and maybe a betta or so, a tiny bag of gravel and a plastic plant. Back home they wonder why their fish is not happy, dies, they have algae, put the fishbowl in the basement, cuz they don't wanna be bothered by fishtanks anymore.

If you know exactly how to do it (ask tankgirl), nano bowls can be nice, but mainly fish beginners start out with somethink like that and end up adding all kinds of chemicals to the water, plus they'll finally quit keeping fishes.

I love natural tanks, that display a little, tranquilizing oasis.

Wow, thats amazing. The laws do seem harsh, but you gotta remember its a different country and they run by different laws and some things may be extreme to us but they are the norms for them. Cultural differences can be a pain.Thank goodness i'm working on my masters in sociology..lol

Tiffi said:
I was surprised when I got to the US how much "trash" or "junk" is sold in the stores. Enourmous ailes of plastic plants, fish bowls everywhere, pink and orange gravel, underwater lightshows etc..

I like plastic plants 8O And as far as the pink and orange gravel goes.....this is America! We can't ban stuff just cause it's tacky! :p There is a house in my neighborhood with 3 pink plastic flamingoes on their front lawn. Now I personally prefer the lawn gnomes.....but at least I live in a neighborhood where your free to make your house as tacky as you please. I hate those uniform neighborhoods with all the homes that look alike and you are forced to join the nieghborhood association and pay dues so they can enforce that everyone's front yard looks identical :twisted: That's Un-American.

If someone wants flourescent pink gravel....God bless em!

While I'm happy to hear about the bowl-ban,

The northern city of Turin passed a law in April to fine pet owners up to 500 euros ($597.7) if they do not walk their dogs at least three times a day.

This is one of the most ridiculous laws I've ever in my life heard.

Also, plastic plants aren't junk. :p They're great for us who have less of a green thumb.

I too wonder how they're ever going to enforce the fish bowl and dog walking laws. I think the city council realizes this down deep, but passed the laws anyway if only to make a strong statement against animal cruelty.

Here's a law I'd love to see:
ALL dogs and cats MUST be neutered or spayed - a special tag would be issued by the municipality after an examination by a vet. Of course, this would only work in places that require both dogs and cats to be licensed. Dog and cat fanciers would be able to apply for breeder licenses, so that they could maintain "Rex's" and "Fluffy's" pedigree bloodlines. These animals would get different tags, and their owners would be expected to control their "activities".

I like colored gravel, so long as there are no chemicals to hurt the fish I don't see why there can't be colour in the tank. My fish all have blue coloured mini marbles for tank bottoms. They are big enough for the fish to not swallow and they are easier to clean than gravel. I also have plastic plants because I'm not maintaining live plants while I live in a dorm room and my fish don't really care one way or another as long as it provides a hiding spot.

I favor the banning of goldfish bowls and fish being given away as prizes laws but do think the 3 times a day walks are a bit much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom