Fishkeas cycling questions! HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawk__

Aquarium Advice Addict
My dad decided that I'm spending to much money on my fish lately so he said I could get any pure ammonia from ace hardware, so how do I cycle my tank without it ?!? PLEASE HELP!!

I can add some filter media from an established tank but don't know exactly how to? What else can I do?

Sorry about the title, misspelled fishless***

You can use fish food as an ammonia source. If you get filter media from an cycled tank, you're gonna need a filter. Try squeezing it in. It should be able to fit. Then leave it a week. You still need to give you're tank a source of ammonia. If you don't get pure ammonia solution, as i said, use fish food. It should rot over 3 days. Make sure not to use pellets, as they take a lot more time to rot.
Try testing you're water for the toxins. If you use filter media from an established tank, it really should take less then 2weeks, I've heard a week or so.
Good luck my friend:D

You can use fish food as an ammonia source. If you get filter media from an cycled tank, you're gonna need a filter. Try squeezing it in. It should be able to fit. Then leave it a week. You still need to give you're tank a source of ammonia. If you don't get pure ammonia solution, as i said, use fish food. It should rot over 3 days. Make sure not to use pellets, as they take a lot more time to rot.
Try testing you're water for the toxins. If you use filter media from an established tank, it really should take less then 2weeks, I've heard a week or so.
Good luck my friend:D

Okay, so how much food do I add, do I put it in a mesh bag or just straight in the tank? And I don't have a filter media pad that will fit in my new filter, but could I cut a piece off of the other one?

How much should I cut and where should I put it at in my new filter?

Sorry about all the questions but I just need to get my 3 prego fish in here as quick as possible so they can safely have their fry! Thanks for the quick reply though!

My dad decided that I'm spending to much money on my fish lately so he said I could get any pure ammonia from ace hardware, so how do I cycle my tank without it ?!? PLEASE HELP!!

I can add some filter media from an established tank but don't know exactly how to? What else can I do?
Perfect, just squeeze out the established media on the new filter sponge, don't worry about any gunge. It all contains b.bacteria. Even better if you can put the est media straight into the new filter. If it's a sponge, you should be able to cut it to shape..Remember not to let the any of media dry out....Ian

Okay, so how much food do I add, do I put it in a mesh bag or just straight in the tank? And I don't have a filter media pad that will fit in my new filter, but could I cut a piece off of the other one?

How much should I cut and where should I put it at in my new filter?

Sorry about all the questions but I just need to get my 3 prego fish in here as quick as possible so they can safely have their fry! Thanks for the quick reply though!
Do as ian said for the filter media.
Put just a bit of food. Maybe around a pinch, 2 pinches?

Perfect, just squeeze out the established media on the new filter sponge, don't worry about any gunge. It all contains b.bacteria. Even better if you can put the est media straight into the new filter. If it's a sponge, you should be able to cut it to shape..Remember not to let the any of media dry out....Ian

So should I cut a piece off as big as my new filter sponge? Or a little smaller?

Do as ian said for the filter media.
Put just a bit of food. Maybe around a pinch, 2 pinches?

Alright, and ill add the food. How soon should I start checking my parameters once I do these 2 steps?

Alright, and ill add the food. How soon should I start checking my parameters once I do these 2 steps?
The day after, or 2 days after that. If noting shows up, then keep doing it for the days to come until you see ammonia at at least 2ppm, then in 24 hours, if you're filter media has the bb in it, then it should convert it in 24 hours, or 48 at most.

The day after, or 2 days after that. If noting shows up, then keep doing it for the days to come until you see ammonia at at least 2ppm, then in 24 hours, if you're filter media has the bb in it, then it should convert it in 24 hours, or 48 at most.

Okay. Will my old filter media be fine with a piece cut out of it?

Okay. Will my old filter media be fine with a piece cut out of it?
Yeah, if your cutting a piece from the old one to match the new one, you could just put the new sponge in the old filter(as long as there is other est media in the old filter of course!!!)...Make sense??

Yep! I didn't cut one the whole size of the new one because I don't have another established filter sponge to put in. I cut one about the size of two quarters and put in in with my new filter sponge! I also put two pinches of food in the new one! Hopefully it all works out , ill test the water tomorrow!

Yep! I didn't cut one the whole size of the new one because I don't have another established filter sponge to put in. I cut one about the size of two quarters and put in in with my new filter sponge! I also put two pinches of food in the new one! Hopefully it all works out , ill test the water tomorrow!
You should be grand with that, keep us updated. Best of luck with it....Ian

Thanks! I have a tank journal for this tank if you want to see it or keep updated! :) ill post my water parameters tomorrow on this thread to see of their on track with cycling though !

Back
Top Bottom