fishless cycle nitrite levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aab102009

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm about 3 weeks into a fishless cycle and was wondering if it's possible to have missed the nitrite spike in my testing. My ammonia usually takes about 48 hours to go from 4.0 to 1.0, then I repeat. My nitrites have been at zero for about 10 days and my nitrates are slowly climbing from about 5 to now between 10-15. I'm curious what I should do next possibly a large water change? Thanks !

Yes, you could have missed it. Probably it is just getting to that time now!!! I would wait a couple days more to see it the nitri/ates climb. Is your water temp up high to 86F?

Thanks!

I don't have the water heated. It's actually just room temp. I tested again and everything is the same expect for my PH which dropped from 7.4 to 6. I am going go to a large water change, but the ammonia still takes about 48 hrs to go from 4.0 to 1.0. I think my cycle may have stalled hopefully the water change helps !

What's the temp notw? If you are going to be using a heater on the tank later, I'd get it installed sooner than later and raise the temp up too. Pinch or 2 of fish food.

I'm not sure what the temp is exactly. it's a 20 gallon so I was planning on getting just 2 small goldfish. that's if I can ever get the cycle completed...I'm going to do about a 50% WC today and see if that helps.

I have a 50 gallon tank that is unheated. But I live in a tropical country. I do have a thermometer in the tank that almost constantly reads around 80 F. Your heating requirements depend on your room temperature, IMO. And add a pinch of finely crushed fish food. It will help the BB get their micro-nutrients.

thanks, I added a pinch a couple days ago and will do it again right after the water change. do you know of any possible reasons why my PH dropped from 7.4 to 6.0?

Maybe. From The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

13. *Will pH affect my cycle / pH crash at end of cycle?
pH will not have a huge impact on the speed of your cycle. Some bacteria prefer it a little higher, the other a little lower. As long as you do not have extremely high or low pH values, everything will be fine. If your pH is below 6.5 or well above 8…it may be time to consider getting the water into a more neutral range. If so, I much prefer natural methods like crushed coral to raise it, and things like peat to lower your levels. I am against altering pH in 99% of cases, but during a fishless cycle when there are no fish in the tank it will not cause harm. The almost complete water change upon finishing the cycle will restore the natural value of your waters pH and natural additives will no longer be needed.

During the process of the cycle, there is the possibility of pH fluctuations. The ammonia has basic properties which can raise the pH as you add it, and the nitrifying bacteria produces acidic waste which will lower it as the cycle progresses. If you have low hardness and alkalinity to your water, these pH fluctuations can be much more dramatic. Performing a 50% pwc at the height of your cycle will restore buffers and prevent any serious crashes or drops in pH. Remember to always keep a close eye on your pH in the last stages of a fishless cycle. People with low alkalinity are much more prone to sudden drops and the potential for pH crashes and damage to the beneficial bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom