Fishless Cycle Test Results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

r312h

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone, Just wanted to say this is a great forum. I've done a lot of reading on this forum, its been a great help getting started in saltwater tanks. I just had a question. I just started cycling my 55g tank with ro/di water. 3 days ago (Tuesday) I added about 40# of base rock from marco rocks along with 22# of live pre-cured rock from liveaquaria. I did not test the water parameters on tuesday or wednesday. I added 2 raw shrimps to the tank yesterday (Thursday).

Today (Friday) my water results showed
Ammonia: ~.75 ppm
Nitrite: 1.0 ppm
Nitrate: 80 ppm

I was just curious as to where exactly I am on the cycle. From reading the articles here, the ammonia should have jumped up followed by a jump in the nitrites, and then the nitrates. For some reason, the first thing to raise significantly in my tank was the nitrates. Should I do a PWC to get the levels down slightly, or just continue to moniter the situation and see where it goes? Should I remove the shrimps (too much ammonia converted to nitrite converted to nitrate)? I'm using an API master liquid test kit if that matters. Thanks for any help, and all the information found on this site, its been extremely useful so far.

Ryan

Leave the tank alone as far as I'm concerned. All your water parameters will work out in due time!

You're off to a good start. I think that your LR played an important role in your cycle jumping for little ammonia and right into your nitrite reading. You could do a 20% water change now. That way if you have many desirable macro algae and inverts that would give them a better chance of surviving
the cycle. Doing a water change will not harm your cycle because most of your good bacteria lives on and in your rock, glass, and sand.
Remember if you chose not to do a PWC that you should do a 50% or greater "Before you add any fish or corals". After that a large water change would harm your fish or corals.....
Happy Reefing

I would not do one because it will slow down the cycle. Just let it go and keep an eye out for those ammonia and nitrites.

I cycled w/ out LR and it.....toooook......fooooooreveeeer. Not mention when I did add the LR after the cycle I may have caused another cycle which may have killed my first attempt at a fish.
In hindsight, adding that LR right away is really important. IMO
Whats base rock?

You could probably do without the shrimp. Between the 'cured' (shipped) live rock and the base marco (notorious for having dead organics) you have plenty of sources for ammonia. I'd take em out, or cut back to a 1/2 one and see if that keeps the ammonia going. If your timing and readings are correct, you're well on your way.

The 80 in nitrates is high so soon. Did you test the source water?

I did test the source water for nitrates, thinking maybe it was already in the water. It read 0 for nitrates. I guess I'll just leave the tank for now, and monitor it. Are there any recommendations for me if the nitrates continue to climb quickly? Thanks for any help guys.

Base rock is basically dry rock that has been out of the water for some period of time, the opposite of live rock i guess.

You've got limited options: a) PWC, b) a fuge w/ macro or mangroves c) run a denitrator.

What kind of water is it? tap/RO-DI/etc?

Should have added: Other than the obvious; use RO/DI water, don't over feed, rinse your frozen food, make sure your CUC is where it should be.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, Just wanted to say this is a great forum. I've done a lot of reading on this forum, its been a great help getting started in saltwater tanks. I just had a question. I just started cycling my 55g tank with ro/di water. 3 days ago (Tuesday) I added about 40# of base rock from marco rocks along with 22# of live pre-cured rock from liveaquaria. I did not test the water parameters on tuesday or wednesday. I added 2 raw shrimps to the tank yesterday (Thursday).

Today (Friday) my water results showed
Ammonia: ~.75 ppm
Nitrite: 1.0 ppm
Nitrate: 80 ppm

I was just curious as to where exactly I am on the cycle. From reading the articles here, the ammonia should have jumped up followed by a jump in the nitrites, and then the nitrates. For some reason, the first thing to raise significantly in my tank was the nitrates. Should I do a PWC to get the levels down slightly, or just continue to moniter the situation and see where it goes? Should I remove the shrimps (too much ammonia converted to nitrite converted to nitrate)? I'm using an API master liquid test kit if that matters. Thanks for any help, and all the information found on this site, its been extremely useful so far.

Ryan

I agree with the advice of the others. Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but you're not cycling without the water being mixed are you?

Base rock is dry rock. Usually it is white since there is no algae on it. Check out marcorocks.com, to see what it looks like.

It is ro-di water, mixed to a sg of 1.023 i believe. There aren't any fish inside the tank right now, but I'll keep it in mind to not overfeed the fish when I do get some. I just wanted to make sure that the cycle seems to be going as planned, I wasn't too sure about the nitrates being so high. What exactly is a denitrifier?

just let it be, it takes a hot min to cycle, mine finally finished a week ago:D but it took forever, almost a month

Hello, just an update on my test results today (6/30)

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 40ppm

I'm not quite sure why the nitrates dropped from the previous readings, I may not have been mixing the 2nd test solution long enough. From reading up, I think a large water change should be done now, along with monitoring the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. Is that correct?

Hello, just an update on my test results today (6/30)

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 40ppm

I'm not quite sure why the nitrates dropped from the previous readings, I may not have been mixing the 2nd test solution long enough. From reading up, I think a large water change should be done now, along with monitoring the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. Is that correct?
That's what I said. do it before you add any animals to your tank. PWC is the fastest way to reduce nitrates. I run a DBS and it took almost 3-4 months before it really kicked in. Then I had tons of tiny nitrogen bubbles coming out of my sand. Lookd like i had an airstone under my sandbed,LOL

That's what I said. do it before you add any animals to your tank. PWC is the fastest way to reduce nitrates. I run a DBS and it took almost 3-4 months before it really kicked in. Then I had tons of tiny nitrogen bubbles coming out of my sand. Lookd like i had an airstone under my sandbed,LOL

LOL yea thats where I got it from. Alrite i'll get the water change done soon. Thanks for the advice, hopefully I'll be able to have some critters in the tank soon.

Don't forget to setup a QT before the arrivial of your first fish!

Back
Top Bottom