Flasher Wrasses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rutrag

Aquarium Advice Addict
Funny story. . .

This past Thursday, I bought a flasher wrasse. It was one of those "assorted" kind, but I think it was a Carpenter's. I acclimated it and released it into the aquarium. It displayed to my fire clown for a second, and then darted right under my long tentacled anemone. I was horrified that he was getting stung, so I kind of chased him out, and he ended up lying on his side in the corner, breathing shallowly. The following morning, all I saw of him was what I presumed to be the remains of his mucous coccoon. He was nowhere to be found. I assumed he was dead under a rock somewhere and my hermits and coral banded shrimp were having a feast. No sign of him Saturday morning.

I'm having some trouble with too much current and a bubble coral, so I did some massive rearranging, included a massive collapse of the rock wall, and never saw a carcass or the fish, so I continued to assume the worst, or even that he went carpet surfing and he was dried up behind the aquarium somewhere.

Now, I've really been wanting a flasher wrasse. I orginally settled for sixline, which ended up sucked into the pump for my protein skimmer (which I thought was sufficiently guarded). I ordered a Carpenter's wrasse from saltwaterfish.com, which was DOA. (They gave me a credit.) I had spied this guy at an LFS about 90 minutes away from home while I was travelling on business on Tuesday. He was one of three and I went back to get him on my way home. I was crushed knowing he passed away after wanting him so badly.

I ended up back in the area on Sunday, and I finagled my way back over there with my daughter in tow. They still had the other two, and I let my daughter pick. I acclimated and released, and the new one went and hid in the rockwork. No sign of him this morning before work when I fed a little flake food. I was worried.

I came home this afternoon, and I was very releived to see my newest acquisition hanging out towards the back of the tank, peeking out warily. As I watched, I was more than a little shocked to see the first flasher wrasse running up and down the back of the tank!:dance:

I have a 37 gallon tank whose inhabitants include (prior to the wrasses) a fire clown, a banggai cardinal, and a royal gramma for fish. Inverts include a coral banded shrimp, a couple of large turbo snails, three small turbo snails, and five small hermits.

The wrasses seem to be getting along right now, and it's either a male and a female or two different species. I've included some photos for the experts to review.

What are the odds that these two will get along on a continued basis?:thanks:

Here's the pics. They're a lot blurier than I thought.
41906-albums1989-picture15544.jpg

41906-albums1989-picture15543.jpg

If they are in fact different species, so long as you keep them well fed they should do ok. Just keep a close eye on them. On the other hand, since females turn to male, and both appear to be similarly colored (although species is anybodies guess from the pictures) if they are the same species, long term chances of survivability for both in that small of a tank are pretty slim.

Back
Top Bottom