Flashing begins again...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok Im sure what it is exactly but it looks bacterial. Lower the temperature slowly down to 70-72*F. Add salt 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons slowly over a day or two. How are they doing? Is it just the one fish? Can you quarantine it?

Lower the temperature? I will for sure but I always thought I was supposed to do the opposite. Will start now

raise the temperature! the salt is good but the ick goes away much faster when you raise the temperature. i had ick with my cichlids and i didnt even add salt. i just raised the temp to 85 and it dissapeared :)

Mumma - it's a couple fish. My quarantine tank had to be taken down so I don't have it at the moment

Ejpicard said:
raise the temperature! the salt is good but the ick goes away much faster when you raise the temperature. i had ick with my cichlids and i didnt even add salt. i just raised the temp to 85 and it dissapeared :)

It's definitely not ich.

Oddly enough they stopped flashing, btw. Now just this...

if it is a bacterial or fungal infection Melafix is the medication i use for my cichlids. it is tea tree extract and it works great

marine fish can still get ich butit is a saltwater form. if it happens just pumpthe temperature up.

I knew I'd read the phrase marine ich before...so I went and looked it back up *lol* It's not even related--they call it marine ich because it's as common as freshwater ich--but heat does nothing for it. Copper, formalin, and hyposalinity. :)

Update - I lowered the temp, added the salt, and am also using melafix. It looks like everyone will be okay. Problem
Is clearing up, although they are flashing again. Seems odd that I'd have such problems when all my parameters are still good.
PH 7
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 3ppm

Thanks for your help guys. Any idea as to what could be throwing the tank off still? I'd really like to get back to a stable ecosystem.

Raeladar said:
Update - I lowered the temp, added the salt, and am also using melafix. It looks like everyone will be okay. Problem
Is clearing up, although they are flashing again. Seems odd that I'd have such problems when all my parameters are still good.
PH 7
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 3ppm

Thanks for your help guys. Any idea as to what could be throwing the tank off still? I'd really like to get back to a stable ecosystem.

That's good! Keep up the low temps an salt well past the last symptom.
I'm guessing whatever it is has been causing the flashing. Once it got worse they were too sick to flash. Now they are feeling better they are starting again. Just a guess though.

Back
Top Bottom