Flashing Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janelle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there...I am looking for sone feedback...I have a few of my fish flashing and I don't know why. I have had my water tested numerous times and all levels they can test for are fine, I have done my water changes. I have added more air, I have made sure the filters are working. I did nit have a good female to male ratio on my auratus so I fixed that. They don't seem to be sick, all are eating good except for one that I think may be stressed and don't know if that one will make it but that one has not been flashing. Suggestions or ideas please.

just for good measuere do a water change and add some extra conditioner. in my experience excessive flashing is due to irritation of the skin/scales or a skin infection/parasite. if the water change doesnt help then let us know and we can look deeper. whenever i notice my fish flashing excessively i do a quick pwc and it usually helps.

Thanks...I appreciate it. Did another water change. Could this be a dominance thing as well. It seems to only be the few biggest ones.

I have had my water tested numerous times and all levels they can test for are fine,

You are having someone else do the tests? Liquid kit or test strips?

On occasion, a single fish might have an itch and will "scratch" but if it's more then one fish, you usually have a water quality issue.

When you do a water change, how much water are you changing out?

What size tank and what do you have in it? How long has it been cycled?

Thanks for your reply. I have someone else do the tests and have had a couple people do it in case someone did it wrong. They have used strips at one place and liquid drops at the other and the results are the same. I do a water change every week and over the past 2 weeks I have done 3 as my ph was low on one of the tests 2 weeks ago and has since stabilized. I change out 30% if the water each time.
My tank us 75 gallon and I have auratus, electric blues and yellows, red zebras, kenyis, johanni, a bumblebee and a big lipped. 15 total and was told to increase it a little so as not 1 fish is picked on. The tank is reasonably new, i ran it for a month with goldfish in it to cycle it and did not put my cichlids in until it ran for 1-1/2 month and was cycled. I had the water checked first to ensure it had cycled. It has now had cichlids for 1-1/2 months, so running 3 months total.

Back
Top Bottom