Flashing peacock gudgeons, does this sound like a good plan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FeliciaC

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, when I introduced my new peacock gudgeons to my 15 gallon-tank with glowlight tetra and amano shrimps, I noticed that my peacock male rubbed himself on the sand and on rocks. The purchase and the rubbing happened this thursday. He rubbed himself two times, and yesterday I noticed the female doing the same. I know I bought the fishes at a place where the water is softer, so maybe that could be the issue? I can't see any white spots or something. Therefore I am not sure if it is ich yet.

But my plan is to wait until tomorrow to see if it gets better or worse, and if it gets worse I'm going to raise the temperature slowly to 86 degrees. I will have that temperature in two weeks and change 30 % of the water every 48th hour. Then I'm going to clean the sand before every water change, and I'm only going to clean 1/3, and just on top of the sand because I have heard that ich really can't go into the sand because it is so compact. Does this sound good?

I also wonder if this is very stressful to the fish? My gudgeons is new, is it any risk that they will die of stress if I do this?
I am also wondering if I have to lift my root to clean the sand under it?

Back
Top Bottom