Floating debris?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dingusplease

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm still cycling my 3 gal picotope, but there's this layer (more like a film) of dust/debris/oily matter that won't go away. I did a 5% water change, but it didn't help. What can I do to get rid of it? I know water changes are the better option for a tank this size, but could a small airstone skimmer help with this problem? Here are some pics of the setup, with one powerhead on the middle right side, and one on the right-back area.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388709831.547088.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388709893.517696.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388710063.412882.jpg

One possibility might be that my LFS rock isn't fully cured. Here is one pic of the section that raises my suspicion:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388709990.654297.jpg

More surface agitation @ least with bigger aquarium is what helps or overflow system. On that small foot print I really dont know but maybe point the powerhead if that is what you have in there up more

A skim on the water's surface is a reflection of poor surface agitation, like stated above. It is a collection of the excess protein/nutrients in your water that is normally removed by mechanical means, such as protein skimming.
I would highly suggest against something like an airstone. These break the surface and will begin to cause unneeded salt creep.

Thanks guys for the help. I moved one powerhead closer to the surface and the film is already disappearing! Really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom