Floating Plant Recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cre8byconstance

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to get some floating plants for this tank. I am thinking about Duckweed just because it's the only one I really know of. Does anyone have any other recommendations that are betta and Snail safe?

IMG_6776.jpg

Oh my goodness you were not kidding, @TMaier! Maxime has pretty much set up camp at the water line and has been constantly eating since I put those plants in. Nothing slow about it!

I had duckweed at one point and it just looked kind of messy. I've also had frogbit and it died off/ got eaten, but when it was healthy it looked pretty awesome. If you are looking for something with long roots look at water lettuce.

Water wisteria can be a nice though prolific addition, Frogbit, Red Root Floaters, Salvinia Minima, Azolla, Dwarf Water Lettuce.

I would stay away from Duckweed because, other than maybe being a food treat for some fish and apparently these gals snails, lol, it gets stuck in your filter intake. Other wise you can allow some stem plants to float on top, like hornwort, if you do not have a top you can add a watter lettuce.

S.mininima, frogbit, rr floaters get my vote. I've not had any snails eat these. But I only keep pest snails. I love w.lettuce too but I had to much flow in my tank. S.minima is easy to control. I just pitch a few handfuls each week.

Oh my goodness you were not kidding, @TMaier! Maxime has pretty much set up camp at the water line and has been constantly eating since I put those plants in. Nothing slow about it!

Glad it's not just my snails. Made me feel like I was starving them.

Back
Top Bottom