Floating Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the_sass72

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone have a problem with floating sand? I bought reef safe sand from a fish only store, black. The stuff clumps up and floats to the top.

Any ideas what is going on? I can't find anything on the subject.

Thanks in advance

I don't know how to attatch a picture here. There are tons of tiny bubbles all over the top of the sand. When you mess in the sand, it clumps and the air bubbles carry it to the top.
I can't find anything on what would cause it. The stuff seems very very fine, light, soft really.

Huh i have no idea on that.....
Lets hope someone else does

It might be because its man made like a synthetic sand possibly??

I am so mad that I tossed the bag in the trash. I'm great mind to bag it up in a zip-lok and have a fuss with the store I Got it from. They aren't the kind of store that generally sells crap.

how long has it been doing this
is it new sand???? maybe get some LR to get bacteria in the tank to help hold it down

I had to do that with my sand so it wouldnt cloud the water

I put the sand in the tank with water, Thurday night, but DH didn't add the rest of the water (not happy about that) but it when I added it as well.

I hooked it up today, moved the tank, and added LR. Got 2 more pounds sitting here to go in, but hesitant since I don't know what is going on with this sand. I've never seen air bubbles and clumping like this before.

The sand is Estes' Ultra Reef Sand, Black.
I'm truly stumped!

Thanks though for your input Joester!

You got me stumped to lol See if in a couple days with the LR if it settles down or not other than that we will have to wait n see what others have to say

I bought a new filter, Eheim Liberty 100. When I plugged it in, I stirred the sand with my hand some and tried to get the air bubbles up. I got some ... but it still looks bubbly. We'll see what others have to say. I stuck my LR on top so we'll see.

Thanks for your time!

S

The finer grains are going to do that until they get coated with bacteria and are heavy enough to settle. You just added the sand to a new tank. Now you need to cycle the tank. The LR is a start, perhaps throw a cocktail shrimp in there to kick start the cycle. I would not run the filter yet but I would add a powerhead or two to stir things up and get some flow going in the tank.

I got the sand fixed. I put the filter on last night, added the new LR, then I pushed the bubbles up ... the filter grabbed them. I have just a few in there now. I mean like 20-30 throughout the whole bottom, compared to 1000 atleast.

I had LR in the tank with water, one thing I forgot. In moving the tank I meant that I moved the water that I had sitting in a tank with the sand. I had mixed saltwater, set rock in, and dh didn't fill it (and I wasn't aware). He was to top it off for me. It had no circulation. I'm sure there was die off on the rock.

But I got that resolved, so glad. Thanks joe and cmore. I was about to blow a gasket when I couldn't get rid fo the bubbles.

Back
Top Bottom