Floating tube things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
These little 1-2mm clear tube like thing are floating all over my tank after I accidentally disturbed a rock. They appear to have super little whiskers on the end of them. They are just getting tossed around in the current. They kind of resemble an Anemone in a way. Just so small. Any ideas?

Edit: Google revealed maybe "planula". I did have aiptasia breakout. But I was sure I killed them all. My fish keep biting on them then spitting them out.

From the description, all I can think of is Hydroids in the free-floating stage? Or possibly pineapple sponges that were knocked off their mount?
Just thinking out loud, hope this helps!

I hope so. I can't seem to find to much information that anemones are shot out like spores to infect a whole tank, rather I read they split. There was about 50 last night, but they all settled by morning.

I got lucky with a pep shrimp that enjoys aiptasia, so if they do come, I have a first responder! Thanks for your help!

Anemones are only part of the Hydroid family. Jellyfish are also part of this family. Jellys are the free floating variety, to the best of my knowledge, having a medusa stage. Definitely no expert, don't quote me.Lol!
I wouldn't worry, I think his is pretty rare in home aquaria. Your description just made me think of it.
Do you still see them?

Flreefer said:
Anemones are only part of the Hydroid family. Jellyfish are also part of this family. Jellys are the free floating variety, to the best of my knowledge, having a medusa stage. Definitely no expert, don't quote me.Lol!
I wouldn't worry, I think his is pretty rare in home aquaria. Your description just made me think of it.
Do you still see them?

No, they all either settled or got sucked up. They were about 1mm total length. Looked just like a
Super small anemone. But now that you say it, they kinda looked like super tiny jellys. well if they pop up again, I'll be vigilant!

Back
Top Bottom