Flourish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrashCourse

Aquarium Advice Activist
I posted this at the tail end of a different question in the general forum, but thought it might be better suited here...

I've just started to slowly replace my plastic plants with real ones, when do you need to start adding fertilizer/flourish? It's not a fully planted tank, and I don't really want a jungle that'll need a lot of maintenance, I just want them to be healthy. They seem to be growing ok as is, new growth and all that. Is it just when you get to whatever point when there are more plants than nutrients in the water, that ferts need to be added?

Thanks!

Planted Tanks & Ferts

I posted this at the tail end of a different question in the general forum, but thought it might be better suited here...

I've just started to slowly replace my plastic plants with real ones, when do you need to start adding fertilizer/flourish? It's not a fully planted tank, and I don't really want a jungle that'll need a lot of maintenance, I just want them to be healthy. They seem to be growing ok as is, new growth and all that. Is it just when you get to whatever point when there are more plants than nutrients in the water, that ferts need to be added?

Thanks!

Hello Crash...

Before you get into real plants, it would be a good idea to research the lighting requirements of those you want. To me, lighting is most important, because your fish, provided they're fed a good diet, will provide the nutrients.

If you keep to the less light demanding plants, then a couple of T8 or T12, 6500K bulbs will be fine and you won't need to be concerned with ferts if you have a reasonable number of fish.

B

What size tank do you have? What type substrate? And what type of lighting?

If you have gravel or sand substrate and have any swords or crypts you need to get some good root tabs such as Flouish Root tabs. These type plants take up most of their nutrients via their roots thus needing fertilizers in the substrate. Other plants take their nutrients from the water so a good liquid fertilizer is usually a good way to go for them. Something like Seachems Flourish Comprehensive is good for using weekly after WC's or bi-weekly. Its hard to say when the nutrients will be depleated in your tank so it's best to start dosing ferts now while the plants are healthy and showing no nutrient deficiencies.

I have a 20 long and a 10 gallon, both with regular aquarium gravel and LED lighting, so I have no idea how that compares to bulb lighting.

We don't have any local independent fish places anymore, so they're all Petsmart specials, the kind that come in the tube. I believe they're mostly anubias, with a possible narrow leaf java fern and an amazon sword, and this scraggly little guy up front I already forgot the name of. i just added those last night, that one's already growing like crazy, i swear i can see it growing in front of me.

if that's all they need, root tabs for the sword and a little flourish with water changes would be perfect. :)

photo 4

I *think* this ones the narrow leaf, but you can see all the new growth at the top. i think that's a good sign! haha

photo 5

photo 1

I think the root tabs and liquid ferts weekly after WC's will be plenty for the tank right now.

The names are correct but can't tell what the little one is, it looks like an emersed form of rotala or ludwigia possibly.

Back
Top Bottom