Fluval 305. Advice welcome...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiguardo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm currently running a Fluval 305 canister filter, with the following in the 6 baskets.

3 of ceramic media
2 of carbon media
1 of Purigen (for polishing)

The area I'm in has pretty acidic water (around 6) & my LFS has suggested crushed shells in my filter may help to raise ph naturally over time. I have made a bag from a pair of stockings and washed the shells thoroughly. I think I need ideally to place the bag towards the top of the canister, but which media should I replace. A basket of ceramic or carbon? I don't want to loose too much bacteria & loose the effectiveness of my recently cycled tank.

Any ideas... :)

tiguardo said:
I'm currently running a Fluval 305 canister filter, with the following in the 6 baskets.

3 of ceramic media
2 of carbon media
1 of Purigen (for polishing)

The area I'm in has pretty acidic water (around 6) & my LFS has suggested crushed shells in my filter may help to raise ph naturally over time. I have made a bag from a pair of stockings and washed the shells thoroughly. I think I need ideally to place the bag towards the top of the canister, but which media should I replace. A basket of ceramic or carbon? I don't want to loose too much bacteria & loose the effectiveness of my recently cycled tank.

Any ideas... :)

I'd suggest removing the carbon packs, place the shells in the top basket.

Mr. Limpet said:
I'd suggest removing the carbon packs, place the shells in the top basket.

Thanks for the advice. That's pretty much what I was thinking . I'm hoping it'll just gently raise the pH without using chemicals (although none of the fish appear to mind!)

Back
Top Bottom