Fluval 305 media question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShawnMMcKenna

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey All,

I recently acquired a 1 month old fluval 305 for $50. Guy had to sell his tanks and equipment due to the spousal unit getting tired of his fish. His loss is my gain! Anyways, I saw an old post on here about people putting "alternate" media in thier canister filters, but I cant find the post anymore. I know one of the things in the post was about putting those green potscrubbers (scotchbrite) in the lower tray. I stacked the bottom tray with those pads, second tray is floss and carbon, third tray is ceramic rings. I would like to know what other people have used in similair filter setups and what your results were, also, I am curious as to what the primary function of the potscrubbers is....mechanical? Bilogical? Water polishing?

Any and all advice/comments are appreciated!

Thanks,

Shawn

Here's that link you were talking about:

Beginners Guide to Filter Media - MonsterFishKeepers.com

We have 2 Ocean Clear canister filters that we had to "design" our own media for. The filter inserts for these things are just way to expensive. So using that link, we did a bit of extra research.

At places like Hancock Fabric stores, you can get a monster sized bag of 100% polyester fiber fill for pillows. You can also get this in a roll for doing mats. It's the same stuff you would pay twice as much for as filter media. I think we spent under $10.00.

The potscrubbers (we use the plastic ones, not the green ones) are mainly for biological and I believe they do some mechanical. They can trap larger particles. As for water polishing, I'm not sure if they would do that as they do allow so much movement that I don't think they can catch the finer things.

Thanks Dragon. I didnt think they would really do water polishing but I wasnt sure. I do purchase my floss material from joanne fabrics, and I do buy the rolled quilt batting for my superking. Thanks again for the info!

Back
Top Bottom