Fluval 306

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beehpee

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All, when I do my water change tomorrow I want to clean the impeller as well as usual rinsing of sponges, first question is how easy/difficult is it to remove the impeller, do I just rinse it once it's removed? My second question is regarding the filter being switched off during water changes, I currently switch everything off and siphon off the water I want to change, I keep some of the drained water and use it to rinse the media in the 306, I re assemble the filter and reconnect but leave it switched off until I've topped the tank back up, I've always done it this way but I can't really think how long it's taken so not sure how long I've had the filter not running but I've never had any spikes in water perams so must be ok, when I do it tomorrow because I want to clean the impeller it's gonna take longer by however long this bit takes so the question is how long can the filter be not running before the BB start to die off, all advice gratefully received as always peeps.

BP

Hi All, when I do my water change tomorrow I want to clean the impeller as well as usual rinsing of sponges, first question is how easy/difficult is it to remove the impeller, do I just rinse it once it's removed? My second question is regarding the filter being switched off during water changes, I currently switch everything off and siphon off the water I want to change, I keep some of the drained water and use it to rinse the media in the 306, I re assemble the filter and reconnect but leave it switched off until I've topped the tank back up, I've always done it this way but I can't really think how long it's taken so not sure how long I've had the filter not running but I've never had any spikes in water perams so must be ok, when I do it tomorrow because I want to clean the impeller it's gonna take longer by however long this bit takes so the question is how long can the filter be not running before the BB start to die off, all advice gratefully received as always peeps.

BP
Hey, no need to worry. Your doing everything perfectly. I do exactly the same when i do my pwc. Make sure your switching off your heater as well(if the water is going below the heater). I use this and it makes life a bit easier. I had a pain in my back, having to arch and twist, trying to unplug everything. Now i just press a button!!!.
On the impeller, i'm not familiar with your filter but most are the same. Some have like a cover, which you turn and remove, be carefull with the these, they are easily broken. I just use tweezers to grab the impeller. A brand new soft toothbrush is a great tool to use to clean these. You should only need to do this maybe twice a year. Are you stripping down the filter on every water change??... Ian

Attachments

• NW-005-EN_39592_350.jpg
    NW-005-EN_39592_350.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 63
The impeller on the 06 models are really easy to clean. There's a red circle covering it, just remove that and the impeller is in clear view. Pull out the impeller, clean, and put it back.

Thanks for the replies, I've had the filter about 6 months and never cleaned the impeller, says in the manual monthly but I remember reading on here sometime ago how monthly wasn't needed but thought I'd give it a clean this time.

BP

Well I did the water change etc and the impeller was easy to remove and clean so all good.

BP

Well I did the water change etc and the impeller was easy to remove and clean so all good.

BP

Glad to hear it, was it pretty clean or really dirty? I've had mine for two months so I'd like to know sort of how fast gunk builds up on these haha

Had the filter for around 6 months I think and this was first time I've cleaned the impeller and I wouldn't say it was very dirty at all, a bit of gunk which was like algae but nothing that was gonna do any harm, I'd say my tank is a little overstocked so the filter certainly has its work cut out keeping things clean which it does perfectly, I check my water using the liquid master test kit and it comes out spot on every time so I have nothing but good to say about this filter.

BP

I just cleaned the one in my 406 out... I hadn't cleaned it in over a year and it was hardly dirty at all. A quick rinse in hot water had it good as new.

I actually just picked up a 306 on Sunday. So far so good. My 406 impeller rarely gets gunked up. I try to clean my out every month

Very cool, I love hearing good things about the 06s from other people, makes me glad I bought the filter I did. I've been very happy with mine too

Back
Top Bottom