Fluval aquaclear filter reviews?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chels10117

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone have any experience with the fluval aquaclear 70? Or any of the aquaclear filters? I saw it in store and I REALLY like it. I love being able to customize the filter media but having the simplicity of a hob filter. I tried a canister and it didn't work with my tank and stand and I had to return it. :/ and I just didn't like it.

I have a couple questions about it.

Are there any other brands like this where you can customize the filter media inside?

Is the actual filter that hangs on the back thick? Like width wize? Cuz if it's too big I'd have to move my tank further away from the wall and I don't want to do that/can't do that. Right now I have an aqueon and it's really snug up next to the wall.

Is the current really strong? I have a baby angelfish and the only reason I didn't buy this filter right then and there (it's on sale) is because the guy at the fish store said the current would be too strong for a baby angelfish. Is there anyway you can adjust the flow on this filter?

Thanks for your Imput guys!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Amazing filters.

I have nearly the whole series on one tank or another. The best HOB IMO.

Plenty of room for media and great flow.

The flow is also adjustable.

I've never had a problem out of any of them with monthly cleaning.

Caleb

Your tank will have to be around 5 inches away from the wall with the AquaClear filter. They have large media baskets, which is a huge plus over other hob's because you can definitely customize media to suit your needs.
As mentioned, you can adjust the flow if it's too much for your baby angel.
Btw, pics of the baby?? :)

Oh, you should compare the stores sale price with amazon, if it's a better deal, I'd snatch it up!!

Last edited:
I've had the AC 70 for over a year and I'm pretty pleased overall. It's great that you can use all types of filter media and they're long lasting and easily replaced. The flow is easily adjusted, I've raised baby Endler's in my tank with no problem! Overall, runs quiet and efficient. If you find one on sale, I'd snatch it up after checking Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There was a user on here I saw the other day who was breaking down tanks and had smaller aquaclears for super cheap.

Caleb

No issues with my AC HOBs. I typically get the AC20 used for under 20$ each.
I've even found deals where I got an AC500 (AC110) for just 25$ :)

I have an AQ 70. I have had several other HOBs, and this is a great filter. Very quiet. As someone said, adjustable flow. I have mine wide open and don't have any trouble with tiny fish, so I don't think suction is a problem if that is what your fear was with the angle.

Best hob, hands down. Obviously my opinion but I have just about every brand hob and the AQ is the only one I will ever buy again!

All about aquaclears!
From the unit made for the edge to the 110 I have 2 (atleast) of every size!
I place sponges over the intake and use the small ones with my GBR fry!!(NO joke).
They are so customizable that others have made "special compartments" to fit into the filter body
AquaClear 70 Media Basket
I don't use anything like that but they are great filters and found pretty cheap(cheaper then LFS) at kensfish.

Me too. I've got the 20, 30, 50 and two 70's:D
I went crazy a few years ago when I had MTS, and now I'm down to one tank yet I still can't part with them. You never know....

I've had a 70 running on a huge tank and it did an amazing job. I always use them.

I would use pre-filters on the intake tubes if you're going to use sand or dirt as a substrate. I got mine from Amazon. Check that they'll fit the 70's thicker tubes first, however.

~ Sent with an unladen European swallow

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll just have to see if it will fit behind my tank. 5 inches. Is pretty big so idk if it would work. :/

Also here is my angelfish.
:)

Attachments

• 1436670488856.jpg
    1436670488856.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 63
I had my angels big like a nickel when I bought them. They were alright with the AC110 flow at max plus an eheim 2228 in the same tank... (65G)

Ive had an aquaclear since 1994. It has run all but one year since. Still going strong. I actually started it up just yesterday in a established tank to seed it for a new build. Great filters. I did usually put a thick rubber band around it to keep the lid from vibrating whichbhas lossened over the years

I run Aquaclears as additional filtration on all my tanks that have canisters. In total I own 6 different aquaclear filters (110, 70, 50, 30). I love them. I use these HOB's for housing the chemical media (carbon, purigen, seagel etc) because it's easier to switch out the media and not have to open the canisters. Plus they are way easier to pop off and clean than canisters. Since I also run canisters with most of them, I don't even worry about preserving the bacteria in these filters. I let the canisters do that work and let the HOB filters pull most of the gunk and handle the chemical media. For me this system work great and my tanks always stay cycled!

I have an AC20 and a AC70. Both are fantastic filters.

Just be sure to clean the prop at least once a month. I have had dirt and grime build up which has caused the motor to stop working, but after I cleaned it, it starts working again. If your tank is 6" away from the wall you should be fine.

Filter flow is adjustable. I have a beta fish in my 10 gallon with an AC20 on the back with the flow at the lowest setting and the beta doesn't mind.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom