Fluval fx5 or rena xp4???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait54

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm fixing to order one, which is better and why?

It's for a 125g freshwater tank few cichlids and rainbows.

Right I have a Rena xp3 for my 54g but I wanted to try other things.

I've heard good things about the fluval and bad (the other thread)

Anyone else have input?

I think they are pretty much equal, but the FX5 has quite a bit more flow. The xp4 is a little easier to do maintenance in my opinion.

I have a Rena xp4 and an eheim ecco. I like both the xp4 is roomy and can take all types of DIY filter media. It's pretty quiet also. Maintenance is pretty easy except for scooting the big thing out to pick it up. The eheim isn't as large as the Rena but seems to have a slightly better design and construction, but somewhat limited on DIY filter media ( you probably could put different stuff in there but not as DIY friendly as the Rena). The quality difference isn't much and the performance seems good and adequate with both.
What I mean about DIY media is I run filter floss and cut to size filter mats in the top basket in the next I run bioballs, then live rock rubble, then sponges and more floss. The eheim I just run the media it comes with.

I realy like the xP3 or 4 series. I know it's not a fluval 5 series. But I purchased the fluval 406, new gen after the 405. It realy did not impress me at all, plus I had a weird leak at the housing seal. I returned and bought 2 xP3's for my 60g. Could not be happier! Everyone here is right about the DIY media. I have bio stars, fluval ceramics, and about 50 pot scrubbers between both filters. I say go with the xP4! Plus they sell
Here for 180 at the family owned lfs.

Back
Top Bottom