Fluval M60 Filtration - Skimmer - Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikeaq

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently moved and wanted to upgrade my tank being as I had to break it down any way. I wanted to go big, but found a good deal on the Fluval M60, I got it for 375$.

I've had it set up for about a month since I've moved, and I finally added the protein skimmer to it a few days ago. This is the skimmer they give with the tank, the Fluval PS1 skimmer. I put it in the back chamber like they say to do, and it was so loud and it was blocking the water from flowing into the in back filtration.

While looking online for help I came across a few different people modifying their M60s because of the flow of the in back filtration, apparently water flows through the bottom and top of the panels in stead of up and down through each section.

Between the filtration problems I read about and the loudness of the protein skimmer I decided to set up a sump.

The water change valve they put in the bottom of the tank finally comes in handy haha. I attached a vinyl tube to it to drain into the sump.

The problem I'm having now is that I didn't research the depth the protein skimmer had to be in. Turns out it needs 10 inches and I've only got 8.

I'm watching it now, it's much much quieter & a billion micro bubbles are coming out of the bottom of it. Is it taking in too much air because it should be under 2 more inches of water? I have the air control valve at the maximum and the collection cup pushed all the way down.

Does anyone have experience with this skimmer? Will it work in not enough water lol?

Anyway here are some pics !
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430102799.031790.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430102825.080960.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430102912.456696.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430102927.792281.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430102943.194069.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Update: I took the top off of the skimmer and there was white foam traveling up the column of the collection cup.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom