Fluval U4--opinions wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigHoss

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking at different types of filtration for a 55g long tank. I'm certain I don't want to go UGF and can't afford a canister. So I saw the Fluval U series and can't find anything on this forum about it. Was wondering if anyone has used them and if so how they like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Id go with a Aqua Clear 110, a AC70 or Fluval C4 would work but why not go big.

Otherwise a cheaper canister like Marinelands, Sunsun, or APi would work.

I have a U4 and quite like it compared to another I had. I don't bother replacing the cartridges, just keep reusing them.

I'm sure others do similar features but I like the flip top lid so I'm pulling media straight out and also that I can adjust the water flow and direction (to upper, middle or lower). So convenient and adjustable water flow and hides some pipes / quiet spot for fish.

On the flip side, no where near the volume of a canister filter.

Fluval C4's

I run two of the Fluval C4's on my 55 gallon freshwater and they work great.

I've been a fan of the Fluval U series. I had a U2 for several years and was pretty satisfied with it. I think internals filters don't get nearly as much love as HOBs and canisters (I've "upgraded" to a canister myself, recently). I don't think I'll go back to an internal as a sole filter, but maybe as a second filter to supplement a canister. Canisters just provide so much more space for media.

I have one myself right now. While I think it works ok, I'm not in love with it and am thinking of making a change. It doesn't keep my water as clear as I'd like, even though I don't overfeed and clean the filter out regularly. I also hate how much room it takes up in my 45 gallon. Finally, I've had isolated instances of fish getting stuck behind the base of the filter. Had two zebra danios and and 4 month old platy fry all get stuck at various times.

As much as I would like to go to a canister filter, I'm not sure I want to incur the cost of one. Plus I would worry about leaking or some other problem. I'm looking at upgrading to an AC70 this weekend.

Hope that info helps you make a decision.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom